1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

03 Dodge Cummins Air Filter??? Help

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by schockservices, Nov 26, 2011.

1. schockservices

schockservices Junior Member
    from ND

As I upgraded my equipment from my 01 gas to an 03 diesel and am curious if anybody has encountered air filters full of snow. Background info 200 plus miles of township roads 2 cities and 1 subdivision so alot of road travel with plow down what can I do to avoid problems or are there any, in blizzards I had issues with my gas truck I just hung on a new 9'2 power v-xt. Everyone is helpful on here so thanks in advance.:salute:
  2. IA Farmer

IA Farmer Senior Member

I am interested in this also, I just put an AFE kit on mine and its not boxed in like the factory filter.
  3. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

I've never had any issues. both my 01, 05, and 06 have AFE stage 1 filter kits (just the open box and pre filter). The 05 has the same setup and Ill be using a VXT with no concerns on the filter. It is usually warm enough under the hood to not have any issies.

4. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

I plow the streets of the city i live in not as many miles but it all gets angled to the right and i have never had a problem with any of mine sucking in snow.
  5. randomb0b123

randomb0b123 PlowSite.com Addict
    from america

i may have a problem [​IMG]
  6. tjdozerman

tjdozerman Member

I Have a 04 with the cummins which still has the stock air box. Plowed with it sense new and two winters ago was the only time I ever had a problem. It was a super dry lite snow and was plowing county roads. It sucked the air box full. Didn't take long once I stopped to melt off. But that was only time in 8 years.
  7. schockservices

schockservices Junior Member
    from ND

I am usually out after the first couple inches acumulates and wind blowin so snow is very fluffy my 01 had issues every now and again so I took off the pipe to the fender put a wool sock over the end and never had issues. I plan on pushing the limits of my XT to get the snow off the county and township roads to keep from hiring the county maintainer to wing it out at 150 per hour then pisses around at intersections and screws me big time so kinda excited to fire up. Just heard people had issues with air filters in the diesels I know my case is kinda different than most but tjdozer is darn close, was gona do a cold air intake but scared to break down. What kind are you guys using also I just put in Edge Juice with Attitude just to watch stuff temps etc.
  8. tjdozerman

tjdozerman Member

I considered doing a open intake on mine at one time but opted not to. I run brute force intake on my 06 megacab and like it put don't think I Would ever do it to my plow truck. It's bad enough the crap it collects on a dusty job site. But that's just my 0.02.
  9. automoto

automoto Member

i have a afe stage 2 intake never had any problems, but with the factory sealed airbox the only thing i can mayyybbeeee see happening is if there is really light snow and its able to get up into where the intake goes into the side of the fender, but all in all i think you'll be ok Thumbs Up