1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

03 diesel recall Q.

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by c.t. lawn care, Nov 30, 2004.

1. c.t. lawn care

c.t. lawn care Senior Member

Thoes of you that have the first of the 6.0l diesel engines, after you got the recall done, did that fix all the problems with the new engine? or did others come up?

2. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

As I recall that one was about leaking injectors filling/deluting crankcase with diesel fuel and causing engine failure if enough got down there.

3. c.t. lawn care

yes it was about leaking injectors. was that the big problem with the engine? it also said something about running hard when cold

4. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

The 6.0 PSD has had a couple of service bullitens and a CYA recall for a new ground bolt. There is also a relatively new re-flash that does away with the pilot injection to address a warm idle surging issue.

5. c.t. lawn care

so if i was to buy a new truck (03) and it had this motor in the problem stage, then if i take it in to get all the recall work done to it will i not have any problems with it other than normal little things that might be associated with an engine?

6. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

The problems were mostly the early builds. Hard to imagine that there will be any of those left laying around.

This is a great motor built down the street. It has a lot more juice than the marketing propaganda.

Which dealer are you talking to?

7. c.t. lawn care

well i have a friend that has a small car dealership in danville and he goes to the auction like 3 times a week or something... and i told him that i want to go with him soon to get me a new truck... and i was just wondering about the 03 engine problem cuz i want the new transmition and i dont know if the 02 had it or not.

8. GPB

GPB Member

C.T.,
    Some of the 03's still had the 7.3 liter diesel and 4 speed tranny. Ford switched mid way through the year. So if your looking for the 5 speed auto, make sure it has the 6 liter motor.

One of my subcontractors has an 03 6 liter that he bought new. The truck developed idle surging and some driveability issues. He brought it back to the dealer and they re-flashed the computer, which fixed the problem. As far as I know, this was his only problem. He's still driving the truck today.

9. PLANET

PLANET Member

diesel stop

Go to dieselstop.com for the information you seek :drinkup: