1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'03 defroster not working well

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jwwieberg, Jan 15, 2009.

1. jwwieberg

jwwieberg Junior Member

I have a '03 2500 with auto climate control, the defroster works okay with frost on the windshield but won't keep it clean when it's snowing, even with temperature setting on high. I heard another guy said he had the same problem. Is this something I'm going to have to live with? It's blowing warm air, just not hot. I called a dealer, they said to bring it in, for $100 they will probably tell me there's nothing wrong.

2. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

You got the 6.0 Or the Dmax?

3. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

check your thermostat. Also my chevys are terrible at clearing windows as they do not point at the bottom of the window they are set to far back in the dash to be of any help. I use a dash mounted plug in defroster that I bought at jcwhitney.com to help with this.

4. jwwieberg

jwwieberg Junior Member

It's a duramax

5. ghlkal

ghlkal Member

This is true of my '02, and I've heard this complaint from other folks. Perhaps a bad design issue ...

6. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I think the origonal design was good for the intention of driving the vehical without a plow. But when plowing where does all snow accum? At the bottom of window. so bottom 4-8 in. never gets defrosted and wipers freeze. Maby on the HD trucks with plow prep they need to redesign the defrost closer to window like the old style that were like an inch from window back in the day instead of 4-6 inches from bottom of window or maby add a second row of defrost vents closer to window?:confused:

7. infineon954

infineon954 Senior Member

Yeah they definetely need to redesign the wipers and location of the defroster. Had my 06' in twice for new wiper transmissions and my father can't stand his 08 because the drivers side wiper packs the snow right under the passenger side wiper. Not to mention the location of the defroster doesnt even come close to the wipers. Thats one thing I miss about my Ford. Never had a problem with wipers on that truck.

8. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

So is a Rubber Deflector the solution to the problem? I

9. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I have run plastic and rubber deflectors on the plow and also have the hood vent plastic thing on and it makes no difference. Also tried different sizes of rubber and still nothing.

10. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I have the same problems with mine as metioned. I think that you guys are right, just a poor design.