1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

03 Cummins Automatic Shifts Dumb? Help...

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by exmark1, Dec 18, 2011.

1. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 2003 Dodge 2500 4x4 Quad Cab 5.9 Diesel, Automatic Tranmission

From 1st to 2nd it "stutters" kind of a slight lunging feeling between gears, it's very noticable sometimes to barely noticable sometimes.
    The transmission was rebuild about 10000 miles ago and the truck only have 114000 miles on it, I have taken it back to the guy who did it 5 times and he keeps claiming it's fixed and it never is... Any thoughts? I am at a loss here I have been thinking on trading the truck just to dump the problem
  2. snowrules

snowrules Junior Member

Did you do the upgrade on the shift solenoid and also look at cummins forum
    there are a lot of answers for trans questions
  3. exmark1

All of the solenoids were upgraded and replaced at the time of the rebuild
  4. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

A DTT shift enhancer is another option for the 1-2 hunt. my 06 and 05 both have this issue.
  5. exmark1

Is that something that can fix the problem or is that a factory thing? I will mention that to them in the AM it's going in for one last attempt, if they don't figure it out I will be trading it on a 2012 F-350 6.2 V8 Gas regular cab that my local dealer has on the lot in town...
  6. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

7. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

A controller like Smarty jr will change and firm up shifts
  8. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

The shift enhancer only works on the 2005+ trucks. The 03-04.5's still have a TV cable.

My trans does the same thing after being rebuilt. If you are able to determine what the cause is, please share. I'm thinking that it is a combination of things between the "shift kit" that they installed and the torque converter. I've been researching aftermarket valve bodies and torque converters for a couple of weeks now trying to see if that'd help.
  9. exmark1

It's going in this morning for one last attempt at it... If he can't fix it, I may put a Chrysler reman in it now or trade the truck off
  10. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Why change the transmission if its not broke? A stutter between shifts doesn't mean the tranny is gone. Do you know if the stock solenoids were put back in (meaning OEM style) or did they use the upgraded GM Style Solenoid?

There are plenty of upgrades/fixes for these trannies. I found a lot of good info on Dodgeforum and Competition diesel. Could be something very simple like your TV Cable needs to be adjusted.
  11. exmark1

Went and talked with dealer again today, discovered a 2011 Diesel carryover that they could get me with all the equipment we wanted XLT, regular cab, 1 Ton, plow prep etc...

For only $34,595.00 after all rebates etc... plus tax, title & license MSRP on the truck was $47,180.00

Really tempting to just give on the Dodge and send it down the road and buy this truck, I have a offer of $18,500.00 to sell it private party. The dealer is willing to pass through the transaction to show it as a trade to save the sales tax on the $18,000.00 which means I would be getting $19702.50 for my truck in the end

Any thoughts.... My Dodge is paid for already so I would have a huge amount down on the new truck to buy it
  12. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

Sorry I didnt pay any attention to the years on the shift enhancer. :dizzy:

I would live with the trans hunt over the emissions crap on the new ones. Your fuel mileage will be drastically reduced with the new one over your 5.9

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Did you try adjusting the bands?
  14. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

I put a TPS noise filter on mine. It took care of a funny shift on mine. It was only about $15 and about 10 minutes to put in. It is worth a shot. Google it, because I can't remember where I got mine. There are several sellers online.

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Seems someone needs an excuse to justify the new Ford. We all know the value of the older Cummins is on the rise!! Myself a lazy shift is not worth $15000.00.
  16. exmark1

Somedays is more than a lazy shift, it feels like someone who doesn't know how to drive a stick letting the clutch out when it's trying to engage 2nd. The problem varys some in how severe the symptoms are... I really don't want another payment, especially without any snow right now but that deal on the new one seems to good to pass up and I am really irritated with this truck!
  17. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

The grass is always greener, and just because its new doesn't mean it doesn't have problems.

Although I really like SuperDuty's and that 6.7 is a nice motor.
  18. nymustang50

nymustang50 Senior Member

I would try adjusting the transmission pressure cable.
  19. exmark1

I have one already in my crew cab and I love the truck... I ran all of the suggestions made by my transmission guy and they tried all of them that they could and nothing worked yet...

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

I've been thinking a TV cable would cause the shifts to be early or late in all the gears. This is in only one. Have you pulled the pan ??? Perhaps a fresh set of eyes looking at the truck would help. There might be a piece of debris sitting in the 1-2 solenoid or a suttle difference in the new one causing the grief.

Mostly the trans guy needs to be replaced before the truck. He should be more willing to solve the issue rather than sweeping it under the carpet.