1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

03 chevrolet 2500 injector problems

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by ProEnterprises, Mar 1, 2010.

1. ProEnterprises

ProEnterprises Senior Member
    from CT

Hey,
    My 2003 Chevy 2500 HD silverado needs new injectors. It is pouring out black smoke whenever I gas it, and has ashy residue coming out of the tailpipe when it idles.

My mechanic said I needed to replace all of the injectors at once, and it would be an 8 hour job. Plus, the injectors are $27 each.

He wants $800 for labor, plus the $27 x 8 injectors for parts.

Is this fair?

2. tmltrans

tmltrans Member

Seems really high on labor and low on parts. I think rebuilt injectors go for around $65 each. Taking them out is easy I couldn't see it being more than 2 hrs total. Of course this is on 6.0l gas engine maybe yours is diesel but it still seems way out of line.

3. ProEnterprises

from CT

SORRY!, Yes, it it a diesel. a 6.6 Duramax. Is this still high?

4. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Call your dealer and give them your VIN see if it is still under the extended warranty. I don't know where he's getting injectors for $27 and the labor seems a bit much. Tell him to do it if it isn't under warranty he miss quoted your price the injectors are more like $270+ea. Edit the extended warranty is 7 years from the date the truck was put into service or 200,000mi. Cross your fingers unless you know it's out of warr

Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  5. bchurch05

bchurch05 Junior Member
    from NH

that is EXTREMLY cheap for a duramax injector job he is WAY off on his numbers. cheapest i have heard is 1300 in parts and him doing it himself. takes about 8 to 9 hrs though so he is accurate on that. make sure he is getting good injectors and i think they go for about 180 a piece and that does not include the core charge.
    here is a kit that has everything that needs to be replaced with the injectors if you dont do it all you are asking to be back in there again shortly.
    http://pensacoladiesel.com/01-04-5-dmax-superkit-lb7.html
    and look into the extended warranty i think it is till 100k on the injectors

6. NICHOLS LANDSCA

Warranty is 7 years from the date the truck was put in service or 200K

7. bchurch05

bchurch05 Junior Member
    from NH

there you go i stand corrected

8. ProEnterprises

from CT

Hmm..I just walked to my equipment mechanic (not the one who quoted me). He told me that if the vehicle does not seem to be losing power, it may just be the air and fuel filter?

Here are the symptoms: black smoke puffing out when I really hit the accelerator when driving, and a black ashy residue coming out of the muffler when the truck is idiling. I do not really seem to be losing any power though.

Does this sound like bad injectors, or just needing new fuel and air filter?

9. bchurch05

bchurch05 Junior Member
    from NH

fuel and air are alot cheaper than injectors so worth a shot
    the fuel filter is notorious on those air filter should be able to just do a visual inspection and check the tester on the side of it.
    one way to see if it is the fuel filter is bad is from stop get on it all the way to the floor most of the time it wont shift from 2nd to 3rd will just sort of hang there until you lift slightly.

10. NICHOLS LANDSCA

You need 2 new mechanics. A plugged fuel filter would cause a loss of power, as for the air filter causing it that would be a stretch. No check engine light? What were the pulse rates on the injectors? Any fuel in the oil?

11. ProEnterprises

from CT

No check engine lights, which is the part that I find weird as well. I know that I need a new mechanic, but that is easier said than done some of the time.

Do you think I should just bite the bullet and change the injectors out?

12. NICHOLS LANDSCA

Well I don't think the first guy knows what he's talking about $27 injectors? If I were in your shoes I guess I'd bring it to the dealer and pay the $100 for a diagnostic to see what is actually wrong.

13. bchurch05

bchurch05 Junior Member
    from NH

It would be money well spent taking it to the dealer to see what the pulse rates are. If it is the fuel filter You might not notice the loss in power as it tends to be a gradual loss of power as opposed to a imediate loss. You deff need new mechanics though the first guy is smoking crack at 27 dollars a injector. Are you in the northeast cause there seems to be a bad batch of fuel around as there has been a drmatic rise in fuel filters as of late acording to a mechanic that I know.

14. ProEnterprises

from CT

Yeah, I am from CT. I was wondering the same thing myself with bad fuel. It happened soon after I filled up a full tank at a station around here. I think I will take it to the dealer for a diagnostic.

15. bchurch05

bchurch05 Junior Member
    from NH

If it happened soon after fill up I would deff say its probably the fuel filter I would do that myself first before taking it to the dealer. It is easy to do just pull the pass side inner fender lining and spin off justlike a oil filter

16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I gotta get me one of these diesel engine thingies.

17. bchurch05

bchurch05 Junior Member
    from NH

Yea they are nice I hate getting 20 MPGs

18. capitolseal

capitolseal Junior Member

new injectors in the duramax from the dealer is $6700. injectors are almost 300 each and injector pump is around 1000. books says 18 hour job at $125/hour. i've had 2 trucks replaced, one under warranty (7 year/200,000) from original purchase. It has to pressure test a certain number for them to cover it, hence i had to pay for one of the jobs. anyway you look at it, it's not cheap

19. NICHOLS LANDSCA

Umm why don't you go and get a fuel filter they are like $31 at Napa. It will take you 15 min to replace, when was the last time it was done? It should be replaced every 15k or less. While you are at Napa get some type of anti-gel/injector cleaner and put in double or triple the dose(too much won't hurt anything) DON'T USE ANY EMERGENCY TYPE ADDITIVE, only use that in an emergency.