1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

03 7.3, no start.

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Mark13, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

A friend of mine told me that her 7.3 won't start. She described it as sounding like a blender when she turns the key to start. So it sounds like the starter is spinning but not engaging the fly wheel. She said they already tried putting a rachet on the balancer and turning the motor over a bit to bring a new spot of the flywheel around. I'm not sure how far they tried to turn the motor but maybe it wasn't enough, 2nd thought is that maybe the starter (replaced under 2 wks ago) has somehow worked its way loose and it's touching the flywheel right or isn't even touching it.

Any other ideas? I'm about 45 min from where the truck broke at so I can't really go look at it easily.

2. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Start with the batteries- those motors draw a lot of power. Check the starter bolts-make sure they got tightened properly ( it could happen) as well as the connections, sounds like it could be a defective starter...

3. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'd think the batteries would have enough juice to spin it over, she drove it around most of the day then 45 minutes away to a friends house where it wouldn't start when she wanted to leave a few hours later. I realize they could have gone bad but it started fine earlier in the day.

I'm thinking either the starter is f'd up or it has come loose. Truck has 190-200k on it and is in near perfect shape and this is the first time it's left her stranded.

4. FordFisherman

from 06611

I agree but its still a good starting point-those motors require alot of power to start; hence the dual battery set-up; did she give you any more info? Like you said its sounds like its loose or defective.

5. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

She just said it sounded like a blender but wouldn't try to start. So I originally thought a bad spot on the flywheel until she said they tried to spin it over manually a few degrees to get to a better spot and still had no luck getting it to start. So my next guess was the new starter wasn't built right and is bad already or it wasn't tightened down right and has worked its way loose over the last week and a half or so.

6. FordFisherman

from 06611

You gonna throw the tools in the truck and try to go and fix it?

7. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I wanted to go and mess with it and see if I could get it running. I know what town it's in but that's all I know as far as it's location and she won't tell me where it's at,lol.
    So I guess if she doesn't want my help with it then it can wait until next weekend or whenever her dad will get a chance to drive over and look at it.

8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Like I have said many times before here. One in 10,000 parts is bad right out of the box !
    It might be Her time to be Ms10,000.

9. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Ya, I've had bad parts right off the bat or had them go bad within a month of putting them in. I'm not sure where the starter came from that they just put on so I can't make any guesses as to the quality of it yet,lol.

10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Had a starter come loose on one as well. My former 'mechanic' said it was the flywheel cracked.

5 minutes later it was fixed.

11. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Talked to her again today, turned out to be the starter. I'm not sure if it was loose or just a bad starter.

12. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I guess She was Ms.10,000 this time.
    My 5.8 had the little sheet metal shroud rust out that covers the lever and pivot that engages the starter pinion. The hole was full of dirt and gravel. Built Ford Tuff I guess....