1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

03 7.3 cold smoking

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by dieselss, Dec 30, 2011.

1. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

ok,,kinda quiet tonight so i thought i would post my issue.
    03 7.3 133+++ 6spd. 4' turbo back exhaust, no muff or cat.
    no flapper valve either (the butterfly for faster warm ups)
    banks air cleaner assm. and a cfm intake system, with the intake heater delete.
    dieselsite wicked wheel
    so on cold starts, even with block heater plugged in (block heater works,,im 100% pos it does) i have a fogger going on out back....bluish white. smells like fuel.
    oil level never really goes down,,like 1/2 qt every 1,000 or so...coolant fine.
    no codes,,,koeo,,koer testes fine (snap-on ethos scanner)
    pulled injectors last summer, tested at mdi diesel,,,tseted fine....compression test,,,,fine (i dont remember the numbers now, but told mdi and they said it was good)
    does go away when the truck warms up,,approx 120 on the coolant gauge.
    the only other thought that comes to mind,,,i bought the truck with a aircleaner assm and the exhaust on it...if the guy did some type of tune and didnt put it back to factory specs would this be part of the problem?
    thanks for reading the book,,thanks in advance for the help.
    :)

2. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

Have you done a check on the oil pressure from the HPOP? friend has this same issue it got real bad truck wouldnt start unless plugged in under 35 degrees out ending up being a bad HPOP.

3. dieselss

No I haven't. Mine does start cold not plugged in tho. I'll see if I can fine a test for it . Thanks

4. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Glow Plugs and controller needs checked.

The glow plugs will allow the fuel to be used effectively on start-up and minimize the smoking.

5. dieselss

True. But the glow plugs turn off after 2mins I think. I don't have a controller, just a relay.....tested ok as well. After the truck is running its still smoking. If not smoking, still has rich smell. Burning eyes type issue. That's kinda why I wasn't leaning towards glow plugs. never really runs ruff tho. Maybe a little shakey...that's about it. Thanks for the insite tho.

6. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Did you test each glow plug?

7. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Alot high mileage trucks had these.

Believe or not mine 00 F350 is worst smoke blue it look like Uncle Buck's Mercury Marquis that backfired.

Mine only smoke when it kick in high idle. Smoke go away when hot engine.

8. dieselss

I did when I did the injectors and the compression test. No unusal readings. The burning eyes after it stops smoking,, I don't think that would signify a bad glow plug tho.

9. dieselss

Had what Milwaukee?? The smoke? Did you find a cure?

10. dieseltech

dieseltech Senior Member

Almost sounds like an injector fuel leaking past while sitting for a while. This will cause a smokey start until warm and will also have a heavy fuel smell until burned off.

11. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

Haven't able fix. Everybody say bad injectors.

It doesn't bother me but just keep people away from my truck:rolleyes:

I will try get video of blue smoke tomorrow if outside is cold 30oF.

12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The GP relay may be fine, but if it's not getting activated by the IDM it doesn't matter. Did you verify the load side of the relay is getting power when you cycle the key?

13. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

bad glow plug /relays will cause blue smoke, mine did it until i replaced the relay and glow plugs, but these trucks dont start worth a crap if the glow plugs or relay is bad. my guess is a bad injector o ring

14. dieselss

i know i did a while ago,,i'll tripple check that today.

15. dieselss

the wierd part is,,its starts fine. i was working in joliet and having to start the truck after sitting outside for 12 hours....it never missed a beat in starting. it just fogged out the parking lot :nod:
    i will ohm test the glow plugs today
    anybody have any thoughts on the tuner issue?? would a tuner be causing this as well?

16. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

My dump was doing the same exact thing when I bought it. All new injectors and the problem was solved. The only difference with mine was that it was hard to start under 50 degrees. Over half of its glow plugs were shot. So I got all new ones of them too. Truck runs like brand new now.
    Definitely sounds injector related! either a bad injector or injector o ring.

17. dieselss

see thats exactly what i thought, but had the injs tested and they said fine.....dont see how an outta truck inj test would not show up a bag inj??? i does have new o-rings and brass rings as well.
    and the starting all the time is kinda throwing me off to....if it was glow plug(s) injs. it wouldnt like to start...this has never had any issues ever.
    gunna go out and play with it for awhile and run some tests....keep ya'll posted.

18. weckel5984

weckel5984 Member

what is HPOP?

19. dieselss

high pressure oil pump....only used on ford power strokes

20. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

It is possible that a o ring is damaged or not sealing right, even though they are new. Could of gotten junk in the injector when reinstalling them? Just Ideas. If it was the HPOP, I would think it would take a little longer to start than normal. It would take longer for the oil pressure to built to work the injectors.