1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

03 6.0 ideling rough

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by RBRONKEMA GHTFD, Jun 26, 2010.

1. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Hey guys, my dads 03 is ideling rough when in gear. Its fine when in park. Any thoughts? My only thought is the torque converter.

2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Truck has 111,000 on it too.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

1) Ever clean the TB and MAF?

2) Ever have the injectors cleaned?

3) Ever replaced the plugs and wires?

4) Scanned for any possible DTC's yet?

Just routine things that eventually need done on a 100K truck. :salute:

4. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

My dad had the 100,000 mile service done, new plugs, wires, belt, oils changed throughout. We haven't scanned it. I can't say for sure about the TB and MAF.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

They're the two most overlooked things that will cause driveability issues as the truck ages, so if you're not sure if they were done I'd definitely start there and then check it for any current or history codes. Only takes $10 in materials and 20 minutes of your time. 2COR517 has a good thread here from a few months back on the MAF and TB subjects if you dig around a little.

6. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Thanks B&B. I will start there and see what I can find.

7. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

My 2000 6.0 had symptoms like this around 92k. Fuel pressure regulator was shot.

It occurs to me that I too have never cleaned my MAF or TB. Had the intake hose off the other day to change the serpentine belt the TB butterfly just has crap all over it. Time to look up the othe thread and get to cleaning it out.

8. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

I looked for that thread earlier by 2COR517 and I couldn't find it.

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

10. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

Thank you sir! I will look at it as soon as my dad has the truck back in town.

11. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

FFIW, my 02 6.0 with 186K on it some times idle's rough while I am not 100% sure of the cause I think the EGR may be sticking open. Not sure if your 03 even has an egr but it might be worth checking out

12. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

B&B, where's the best place to get seafoam into the motor? I have a 2000 6.0, I've read the brake booster, but I remember seeing an intake manifold that someone pulled after a seafoam through the booster and it was spotless on the back half, front half looked untouched.

2COR's thread mentioned he did a second seafoam treatment through the IAC at the back of the throttle body, where is this on the 6.0?

Lastly, when I did my serpentine belt a couple weeks ago (still hissing like crazy, didn't know there was a second belt in there, that's next). I tried to start the truck with the throttle body intake off and I was unable to get it to fire. I'm guessing this is because my MAF was still hooked up and since it didn't sense any airflow it wouldn't let the injectors put fuel in. Is this correct? If I unplug the MAF I'l be able to start the motor and do the throttle body cleaning right? Or do I actually want to remove the throttle body and clean it by hand?

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

That's correct, you won't get the entire intake manifold interior clean when introducing the SF through the brake booster line for obvious reasons. But on the 6.0's you can also then inject it through the vacuum line for the fuel regulator also, it's a little further forward in the intake thus allows you to 'reach' more of it.

You can also fail the MAF so you can inject the SF with a spray bottle directly through the IAC valve port in the front of the throttle body (inside) with the intake tube disconnected. To disable the MAF sensor so the truck will run without it (thus allowing you to run it with the intake tube removed) simply disconnect it's connector plug. It will crank for a while and idle will be a little unstable but it will run.

But the intake itself being clean isn't even the ultimate goal because it itself isn't even critical. It's the intake ports, intake valves, combustion chambers and throttle body you're really after. Carbon buildup in the actual intake itself has to be beyond sever before it will cause even a slight MPG or driveability issue.

You can do a reasonably acceptable job of cleaning the throttle body while it's still installed, just need a lint free shop rag, a small soft bush and a can of TB cleaner. Simply prop the throttle plate open and clean both it and the interior of the TB housing very well. Just don't spray an excessive amount of it directly in the engine. Instead soak the shop rag and use it to apply it in the TB. However if it's really dirty or hasn't been done in a long time the best way is to go ahead and remove it for a thorough cleaning.