1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

03.4 manifold bolts

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Morrissey snow removal, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

ok got the commom 5.4 problem manifold bolts broken and exhaust ticking! whats the best thing to do new manifolds and stainless bolts anyonedone them? pain in the ass?? or how much were they to have done? i have change all my own on the diesels cut the heads of the bolts off and pulled the studs out but never any broken!!! thanks for any ideas

2. tim096

tim096 Senior Member
    from wny

New manifolds, updated studs from ford dealer, drill out, or mig weld nuts on broken ones. the job can be a pain in the a##. I have done a ton of them. sounds like you can do it just plan on spending the day.

3. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Do a search on the Ford forum for exhaust leak. There are many many posts regarding this. I just got thru doing this. Make sure you get the stainless studs. They are copper in color. I had an argument with the Ford parts Mgr. on this. They sold me the steel ones. When I got home I put a magnet to them and brought them back the next day and the parts Mgr, did not even know there was a TSB on this and I had to show him my printout I got. He has been selling the wrong ones to people and even the service Dept. has been using the wrong ones. When he got the copper ones in (had to order) he told me that they were not stainless and they were copper (duh). I brought a magnet with me and showed him they were indeed stainless.

Ok enough of stupid people. Onto the job. I had to plasma cut all the nuts off as they were so rusted I could not get an size socket to grab onto them. After I got the manifolds off I had to weld a nut to the cut studs. The heat helped break them loose. There was one stud on the pass. side (farthest one back) that had the stud broken below the surface. I kept welding a tit to it in the head and built it up and then I was able to weld a nut to the tit. This took a long time to do so be prepared to spend a day taking this stuff off. I also put new ford manifolds on too cause they were just too rusted and I could not see cutting the nuts off the bottom row (you will see what I mean) and cut the manifold.
    Chase the threads with an 8mm tap as well. I also did the SPD Y-pipe mod as well.
    T.J.

4. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

sounds worse than the older 7.3 diesels thanks guys

5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The last one I did. I drove a Metric Impact Socket on to the rusty nut's on the stud's. Some 12mm and some 11mm. Before it came all the way off I took off the socket. If you cut off the nut, use a small pipe wrench to grip the stud and turn it out. Grind flats with an air cut off may help. Heat is your friend. Heat them up red hot and let cool. ( use a real torch ) It will burn off all the oxidation that is holding it in-place. Buy the official replacement studs and bolts kit. Maybe you only do it once in the life of the truck.

6. canadiantowman

canadiantowman Member

do the 07-08 fords have this problem, I'm looking at buying either an 07-08 f-350.

7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Dad had it done on his 2001 F-250 with the 5.4. It cost him around $900 to do one side and they replaced the manifold with a new one.

8. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Had to have both sides done on my old F250, under warranty thank fully. Was a hair under $2000 to do, before the dealer screwed up the heads when they took off the old manifolds. So I got new heads in the deal too. Best extended warranty I could have ever bought.

9. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Wow. I will do these all day long for 900.00. Pretty cake now that I know the quick way and the process.
    T.J.

10. MickiRig1

That's why we call them " Stealerships ". My Wife works part time at one as a cashier. She sends me a text message the other day " $800 for a front brake job on a Focus! "
    Oh My God, I could replace everything on all 4 wheels for close to half that.

11. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

I know I used to be a Service Mgr for a Ford Dealership and then a Chevy. I had to get out.
    T.J.

12. MickiRig1

My Wife knows how cheap I can do repairs. It's my favorite thing to do. Fix stuff on someone's dime. I have 13 nieces and nephews with vehicles in my family. The best part is I learn something each time I repair their cars. Most of them help me and they learn how to do stuff. I have taught all of them how to change their own tires. A skill they need to have!