1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

03 3500 v8 4wd dump?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Surfside, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Surfside

Surfside Member

Do you own one? Looking to sell my Tacoma and 94 2wd dump to purchase this truck? Just wondering of any common problems that any might know about. Truck has 26000k on it,and will look pretty sharp with my new xblade. Any info on the motor and its back ground would be helpful. I know thats what carfax is for but im trying to save the pennys for the truck and with the lack of snow for my first year is tough. Thanks all!

2. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

Here is mine
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Surfside

Surfside Member

Looks nice! The truck I'm looking at is a Chevy with a v8. Your dual tanks made me take a second look.

4. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

They will all be V-8's. :rolleyes:

Is the one your looking at a 6.0, 8.1, or 6.6 Diesel?

5. Turfmower

Turfmower Senior Member

Mine is a 6,6 diesel. All the chassis cabs have duel tanks. 50 gallons between the 2 tanks.

6. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I know that.

Seems Surfside isn't very knowledgeable about the product he's interested in buying. I was just trying to help him out.

7. Surfside

Surfside Member

:dizzy: :dizzy: Sorry for all the confusion. I think the key word is Chevy, its a 5.3 v8. The motor is also used in Tahoes and Suburbans. Just wondering if there is any common problems with this engine. Thanks again?

8. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Confusion?

You seem to be the one confused!

The 5.3 isn't found in any 3500

If it is a '03 3500 Dump, it has either the: 6.0, 8.1, or the 6.6 Diesel.

9. Surfside

Surfside Member

O.K I am on my way to see for myself. The dealer gave me that info now lets see..............

10. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Dealers always tell the truth :nod:

Dealers are always knowledgeable about their product :nod:

Sure he didn't say...."It's just like the 5.3 found in all the Tahoe's and Suburbans out there"? In which case he's likely talking about the 6.0.

11. Surfside

Surfside Member

:salute: Sir Yes Sir ! Well I was confused or the dealer was. The tag said 6.0 v8. Thanks!

12. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

No need to make fun of me. I'm just trying to prevent you from making a fool of yourself. ;)

13. Surfside

Surfside Member

Yes and I Thank You for that. I found out it was a lease truck and noticed it has had a plow on it before. I intend to use this as a plow truck and for landscaping/maintenance. I do wish it was deisel.

14. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Thats a great engine, lots of power but the gas mileage sucks, count on 10-12 MPG. I have seen quite a few in auto & RV trader in Ohio for around 23,000 but no blade.

Regards Mike

15. Surfside

Surfside Member

Thanks! Well right now I am filling a 6cyl Tacoma and a 94 Chevy dump. I figure I'll save alittle with having only one truck. What about the tranny, Allison? What are some of the major differences between 03 Chevy vs Gmc?

16. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

The 6.0 will not have the Allison behind it.

It will have the tried and true 4L80.

Chevy and GMC differ only in hood/grille/fenders.

17. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

How much do they want for it?

18. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

get the carfax, if you cant afford the car fax, what makes you think you will be able to fix a tranny or rear end problem if the truck has been previously negalected. Especially since it was a lease. My ma leases her cars, and ill tell you what, I feel bad for who ever buys it after she turns them in. For me, im real anal about my trucks, but I own them, if I leased, I wouldnt give a rats a$$ lol. Sorry if its discouraging, but be careful when buying a lease.

anyway, there great trucks and if you can find one, a diesel, under 25k snatch that badboy up.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2006
  19. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

I feel that a 3500 dually dump w/the 6.0 is underpowered and will get absolutely horrendous gas mileage. I would opt for an older diesel.

20. grassmanvt

grassmanvt Senior Member
    from Vermont

I've had both. Currently have the 6.0 gas/auto, nice setup, although I did loose a tranny at 5k. It happens. Otherwise great. As far as opting for an older diesel, if you are refering to an older 6.5, I've had one and would consider shooting myself in the foot before having another. Also, mileage wise, again, I've had both, also had ford gas, then a ford diesel. The 6.0 gas so far has been a close second to the 7.3 powerstroke mileage wise. Not enough of a differance to justify the cost, thats why I currently run a gas burner and probably will continue to due so. I will say that if you tow heavy consistantly, like 12k and over daily, than I might consider a diesel. If your deal falls through, might consider selling mine, 04' with 15k and a blizzard 810. Almost time to trade again.....