1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

03 3500 front end problems

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by LB Landscaping, Oct 16, 2005.

1. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

Brought my 2003 3500 Chevy in for service on Friday. Regular stuff, oil change and a couple of minor warrenty issues. Told them to check the front brakes because the truck was starting to shake a little when braking. Anyway I went away for the weekend and got a message from the service dept that the truck needs alot of front end work and they needed to keep it for the weekend to get the parts. Not sure exactly what's wrong yet but they did say new idle and pit arms were needed and a few other things. The trucks only got 32000 on it, anyone else have any issues? I do have the torsion bars up 4 turns and plow with a Fisher 8.5 V plow but its a little early for these kind of problems isn't it?

2. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

32000 miles doesn't really matter. The truck is for work, see's all the elements, plows etc... This shortens the life of all wearing parts. If the grease fittings were missed a couple times, water getting inside the joints. Rust can happen overnight and wear these parts out.
    Just because it has 32000 miles doesn't mean anything.

3. PetalsandPines

PetalsandPines Senior Member

Blah blah blah

It's because it's a piece of $HI!, I am qualified to say that because I have an 04 3500 4x4 dump. It is the most cheaply built vehicle I ever owned, 23,000 miles and it eats 2 quarts of oil every 4,000 miles.... My front end has a vibration in it and my dealer is one of those typical "It's a work truck what do you expect??? type morons" let me tell you, after paying 35,000 for a truck, my WORK truck gets babied better than most peoples cars. JUNK JUNK JUNK.....Resale value??? HHHHHAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAA:gunsfiring:

4. LB Landscaping

from Maine

I'm with you P&P, actually thinking of trading it in for a Ford (yup I said the "F" word).

5. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

My '99 has the same problems the shake is caused by the piutman arm and idler arm being worn. My dealer said that it was partly to blame from the torrsion bars being cranked up and the heavy meyer 8' poly plow that was on it.

6. LB Landscaping

from Maine

That makes sense, I cranked mine up 4 turns and have an 8.5 V plow!!!

7. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Some die some dont. Check out cognito motor sports for thier braces. I never ran em but it was on my list of things to get. Make sure you grease the front end regularly.

I got 55k miles on my truck on all the original front end parts. Only thing I did was put 125$ tie rod sleeves up front to keep from bending a tie rod doing 4x4 launches with boost and N2O at the drag strip cutting better short times than alot of slick tired camaros and mustangs. I also ran a 9.5' fisher V blade in the winter. Ran timbrens and proper ballast with my 265 tires and had no issues. IFS SUCKS :nod:

Ideler and pitman arms dieng is somewhat comon.

8. LB Landscaping

from Maine

I gues I was just nervous since the truck is out of warranty in 3000 miles, but it is a work truck and by no means am I easy on it, she hauls all summer and plows all winter!!!!!:D :D

9. Merc1100sc

Merc1100sc Senior Member

Not to hijack this thread, but, Ratlover, do you have any pics of the 265's on your truck. I was going to put 285's on mine, but, after all the feedback i rcvd, im thinking abot going w/ the 265's.. thanks

10. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

11. Merc1100sc

Merc1100sc Senior Member

Ratlover. thanks. sweet truck..