1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

03 2500HD shaking and wobble

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Landscapes8988, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Landscapes8988

Landscapes8988 Senior Member

one of my buddies took my truck today. said he pushed the 4x4 button and hit the gas and it slammed in the front end...now i have a shaking wobbling steering wheel at over 40mph. first chevy i have owned and only owned it for a couple days... so i need some help

2. Conmancounty

Conmancounty Member

I would say it is a tie rod end that was bad, when he did that to it, it made it more visible to you driving. My 2000 is doing the same thing and it is a bad tie rod end on the driverside.

3. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Not an expert (hopefully B&B will chime in as he knows WAY more about these things than I), but it's my understanding that it's never a good idea to put it in 4x4 and "punch" the gas- go easy on everything in the driveline until everything gets up to speed. Also- what "4x4" button did he hit? 4HI or 4LO....? Hopefully not 4LO unless he was just creeping along or not moving at all (and also had trans in "N").... otherwise it's my understanding that trans/tcase/final drives can be damaged.

Does sound like it's something steering related though... good luck! :nod:

4. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

might have messed up a wheel bearing if it happens in 2 wheel drive

5. Plow Nuts

Plow Nuts Senior Member

check the u joints on the front and rear driveshafts. I would be willing to be your issue is there

6. buddymanzpop

buddymanzpop Senior Member

Just went through a similar situation, 04 GMC 3500, checked everything, then I rolled the wheel across the garage floor when it was off the truck and it wobbled, broken or shifted belt in the tire, replaced the tire and low speed wobble, high speed shake is gone. There was a noticeable bulge in the tread area of the tire.