1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

03 2500HD Question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by KingDuramax, Feb 23, 2009.

1. KingDuramax

KingDuramax Senior Member

Is a Fisher 8.5 "V" plow too much to handle for an 03 2500HD 6.0L Ext Cab shortbed?

I am looking at a truck with one on it and it seemed a bit much for it.

2. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

It will be fine, some guys would even consider that too small for that truck.

3. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

The 6.0 motor is much lighter than the D-Max and people run v-plows on D-Max trucks all the time. Timbrens on the front are mandatory IMO for ANY Chevy truck running a plow, but especially the v-plows...

4. KingDuramax

Thanks guys. This truck doesnt have timbrens, so if I do get it it will need them added.

5. KingDuramax

They are asking $17,999 for it it is a 03 2500HD Ext Shortbed LT with 71000. What do you think of the price. The blade needs a cutting edge, and it has some wear to the trip part though. The truck itself seems tight. A small brake pulsation and dome light doesnt work with the doors. Belt squeals too. All things they will address I am sure,might give some flack on the plow parts but the truck I'm sure will be repaired.

6. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

That is too much for that truck. I bought a 2004 chevy 2500 HD with a brand new meyer 7.5 c poly plow with 28 K on it over a year and half ago for 17K out the door. that truck is worth around 12 since it most likely has been a plow truck since new. i could get a 2006 2500 hd for 14K with no plow and about 15K miles on it. On cnn yesterday they were talking about how this is probably the best time in american history to buy a car/truck. they said ever. Give them a price and walk away if they dont take it. They most likely need the sale instaed of you needing the truck.

7. calhoun

calhoun Senior Member

Way too much money for that truck. It has seen lots of plow use (worn out cutting edge). Even 12K seems high. This truck has probably plowed for 6 years without timbrens don't know if adding them now will make much of a difference. It is a buyers market now.

8. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

No D-Max = No retained value. I wouldn't pay 17K for that truck WITH a D-Max. The plow only adds 3K MAX to the truck's value. Probably less. If the truck is otherwise in very good shape with decent tires and upholstry I'd pay up to 12K, but I'd open with 10K for an offer. It's older than 5 years so the retained value scale is sliding down very fast for the next 3-4 years. If you want to keep it forever, it would be OK. If you want to turn it over in a few years you'll never get your money's worth out of it.

9. KingDuramax

Guess my number wasnt too far off then. I was thinking 13-14k for it.

10. Burkartsplow

you live in jamestown. I have some friends from there. there last name is terwilliger. Ever heard of them.

11. KingDuramax

I have heard that name before. But noone I know.

12. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Yeah, like it's been stated before, that is WAY too much for that truck. They are crazy if they think they are going to come close to that price IMO.

13. KingDuramax

Well they would only come down to $16800. I walked away from it. Will look for the next one to catch my eye.

14. cocco78

cocco78 Senior Member

I wouldn't doubt they call you back about it... Although around here they would rather let something sit on the lot or ship it off to auction than give anyone a good deal on something.

15. KingDuramax

I hear you...Someone wont use NADA to price it out and buy it for what they want. They have a F250 erstroke reg cab there too and they are over priced by $3500 on that one too.

16. MIKE'S MIRAGE

MIKE'S MIRAGE Junior Member
    from CT

That seems a little high to me. I just purchased the exact same truck with 64,000 miles and paid $10,500. Only bad thing is I wreched it the day after I registered it!

17. Burkartsplow

I dont know why dealers think a truck is worth that much. They are always tell me well it has a plow on it and I always tell them that is reason enough for it to be cheaper. They think you have a used plow and the price goes up $3500. F#$@ dealers. You were right give them a number and walk away if they dont like it. They need the sale more then you do. youll find a good deal out there.