1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

03 2500HD, No 4x4

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by CAT 245ME, Feb 3, 2012.

1. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

On Wednesday afternoon, went out and jumped in the truck and put it in 4wd (push button), the 4wd Hi button flashed on 3 or 4 times and then went back to 2wd. I tried several times to engage the 4wd but it kept going back to 2wd. It did finally go into 4wd and plowed the next 18 hrs with no issues. When I went to retry shifting from 2 to 4 it does the same thing as the first time, and it has never gone back in 4wd since.

I can here the transfer case actuator when I push the 4wd button but I don't hear the front axle actuator, I did replace the front axle actuator this morning but nothing has changed, I do not hear it engage when I press the button.

What do I try next?

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Well I would take off the actuator, and have someone put it in 4x4. See if it is working. Then try and turn the transfer case shifter by hand and see what happens

3. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I had this issue. Could hear the transfer case motor but it never engaged. Turns out it was rotted and seized up. Replaced it and no more issue. Summit racing had mine for 165 bucks

4. dieselss

Good point syden. Just b/c you can hear it, doesn't always mean its working. That's why I suggested to pull it out and verify its operation

5. CAT 245ME

I'll pull it out tomorrow and check it out, Carquest told me they have one if I need it.

Now should I also here the front axle actuator kicking in as well when I push the 4wd button?

6. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

No you won't hear the front axle

7. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

Sounds like a bad encoder motor (transfer case shift motor). Theres a chance it could be the encoder sensor (inside the encoder motor). I'd check that first. Good luck.

8. CAT 245ME

Just out of curiosity, when 4wd is engaged do both the front axle and T-case actuators engage at the same time or does one have to engage before the other one does?

9. dieselss

i think the front is delayed....ecm has to see a 4x4 input signal then it switches the front axle.

10. CAT 245ME

I paid $302 for mine with tax (One year warranty), still allot better then paying the $600 at the Chevy dealer :eek:

My T-Case motor was cracked along the top and where the top bolt goes threw that was completely broken off, so I only had 2 of the 3 bolts holding the motor in place.

Works fine now but I still wish I had the 4x4 floor shifter over the push button set up.