1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

03 2500hd brake question

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by chris694205, Jan 25, 2011.

1. chris694205

chris694205 Senior Member

hello guys, ive owned my 2500hd for 4 years now with not many problems to speak of. I recently have noticed when coming to a stop the brakes work great until about 2mph (right before stopped) and the pedal gives a little. kind of like the abs kick on, but they dont..If your not used to it you will probably hit the car in front of you. the truck has new rotors and pads all the way around. any ideas
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  2. Woodenshoe

Woodenshoe Member

There is a built in ABS test feature that normally kicks in the first time you pass the 8mph mark. We have a truck with a malfunctioning computer that causes the exact same symptom as what you have every time you stop. We had everything checked including the wheel sensors and the entire wire harness. The only solution left was to replace the ABS computer, so we chose instead to disable the ABS.
  3. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

Not sure if this occurred immediately after your brake job? If so, I wonder if you have air in the system and needs the brakes bled again. Beyond that, if the reservoir on master cylinder isn't consuming oil I would assume the master cylinder may be the culprit.
  4. chris694205

chris694205 Senior Member

i was thinkin maybe an abs sensor is dirty or going bad?
  5. k&j Landscaping

k&j Landscaping Senior Member

Had same problem in my 05, low speed shimming in pedal. Replace abs sensors at each wheel or cleanout the rust that develops around and on them. I replaced one and cleaned the other no problems since. This will solve the problem.
  6. hawk2wp

hawk2wp Junior Member
    from MI

I had the same problem on my 02 2500hd. You shouldn't have to replace the sensors. The problem is that rust builds under the sensor where it mounts and pushes it up ever so slightly causing the sensor to read incorrectly. You have to remove the caliper assembly and rotor. Remove the sensor and clean the rust from the hub in that area. Be sure and plug the hole where the sensor goes with something as to not allow debris to fall inside of the hub. Coat the hub with grease to help prevent future rust remove whatever you use to plug the hole and reassemble. I got most of my information off this site when I did mine, so search for other posts regarding this subject. Good Luck.
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  7. victoryrider

victoryrider Junior Member

Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner. hawk2wp hit the nail on the head with this one. I had the same problem. The local garage said it was a wheel bearing starting to go bad. I did some searching on Chevy forums and found that exact explanation. I followed the same directions he posted and it took care of the problem.