1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'03 2500 HD Brake - 1 sided wear issues

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Snowzilla, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

110k miles.

Did a visual inspection of disc brakes on all 4 wheels because of brake noise. It appears only the out side of the rotors on all 4 wheels are beings used. They are nice and shiny. The inside of rotors are dull and rusty. Anyone experience this. Wondering if the calipers are not adjusting to pad wear.

Are these rotors held in place by the hub nut?
  2. tim096

tim096 Senior Member
    from wny

The caliper slides are frozen, and the brake pads most likely to. Hub nut does not remove the rotor. I belive they are bolted from the back. They can be a pain to remove. Hope this helps and good luck
  3. Snowzilla

Snowzilla Senior Member
    from Iowa

Thanks tim096. I didn't go to the work of pulling off any wheel and also know 3/4 ton rotor assemblies are not as handy to get off as 1/2 tons. I made an appointment today with a brake shop. They've got the tools to get stubborn brake parts off.

Using Google I found some things of trucks of this era with rusty rotors.
  4. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

When you put it back together lube up the slides with a good heat bearing grease...
  5. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Sta Lube at NAPA is the best Ive used so far.

I have to do this twice a year. Ive talked to Power Slot and Hawk both and they both say the same thing. I even had to go as far as sanding down the ears on the pads to get the freeness that I wanted. Its a time consuming task but worth it.