1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

03 2500/3500 7/70 warranty

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by BWhite, Apr 19, 2003.

1. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

What is the story with this warranty . What is the deductible ? does it cover all the drivetrain parts that are stressed out with plowing ? Is the warranty voided by plowing ? . 7 yr warranty could mean 7 years of plowing . it may be a great deal

2. GMC99

GMC99 Senior Member
    from 60188

warranty

when I bought my truck 2 weeks ago, they said all 2500 and 3500 series trucks are covered for plowing for the full length of the warranty..

3. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

It's only covered if the truck has the plow prep package & the plow along with everything else dosn't exceed the limits for the specific truck. They can also refuse to warranty it if they can prove the damage was caused by abuse. Meaning put the proper plow for the truck on, don't beat the poop outta the thing & you should be fine. Providing your dealer is good.
    Just remember tho, when it does break down & you know it will at the worst possible time.
    How long will it take the dealer to fix it? 1 day, 2 days, a week? Do they stock enough of the parts to get you back up & running?

MAKE SURE OF THAT... Who cares if a $2k repair is covered under warranty if you loose $4K not being able to plow the big event because the truck is at the dealer awaiting a new tranny.

Once you got that covered, sounds like a great deal.

4. Nozzleman

Nozzleman Senior Member

I think the 7/70,000 is a great offer and it shows that Dodge has alot of faith in their vehicle. As for repair claims, as long as the truck has the plow prep package you should be fine.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2003
  5. plowman777

plowman777 Senior Member

im not knocking dodge trucks, i have an old dakota myself but the 7 yr warranty is a marketing thing, nothing to do with their faith in how well its built, they did it in the 80's with the junky k cars so.....

6. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

True that it is a marketing tool. Why else would they offer it?
    They can & do offer it because people will think "WoW these guys really think this thing built good & will last a long time".
    The whole time targeting people w/ $$$ who will end up trading the thing in for a new one a couple yrs down the road, with all the "new" fancy options. Or the business traveler who will easily put on 70k highway miles in a couple yrs... With that said most of the owners will never have a need for the long warranty & Dodge comes out ahead. For the few who work their vehicle (usually own a Ford of GM) it could be a great deal. Dodge is willing to pay a few bucks to keep them happy so they talk their family & friend into buying a Dodge.

Marketing makes the world go round... There is not a single (legal) product in the universe that is not marketed in some way shape or form... Most of the time it makes us :dizzy: .

Don't mock those K' cars, They were a great small cheep car that topped out at 80mph. I still see them all over the place. Mainly in the polish neighborhoods for some odd reason... :)
    My mother had one for 10yrs, sold it to a friend's son for $400 who kept it for 2yrs then sold it to his friend for $300 who kept it running strong for another 2 till it was totaled by a outta control Ram. 14yrs ain't bad considering the only thing ever done to it was oil changes, brakes, tires, a muffler & the every few month wash. Heck a spark plug broke off & it still ran 50 miles sounding like a tank until it was replaced. After the odometer flipped we did replace the alternator. Only thing we hated about it was the AM only radio.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2003
  7. plowman777

plowman777 Senior Member

thats amazing a k car could last that long, i swear i havent seena k around here for many years, in fact there arent too many old anything here. with leasing and 0% who needs to drive a bucket?....my friend used to sell dodges in the 80s and i rode in them all, most were junky to me except for the d50 and ramcharger. i saw k cars at a county auction a few years ago, they could barely sell them for 300

8. Nozzleman

Nozzleman Senior Member

Got Grass, originally I had a few words for you in my previous post regarding your apparent dislike for Dodge trucks but I edited the post thinking I was jumping the gun a little. Then today I read your comments that basically say "Dodges are for want to be truck owners and they can't handle real work". Now I am sure that you drive a Ford or Chevy, I'll even bet if that truck broke down every day of the week in your eyes it would still be the best truck in the world and thats O.K. by me because I don't drive it. With that said, I don't go to the Ford or Chevy forum and talk smack about a truck I don't own unless I have proof to back my comments. Further more, Dodge has had some bumps along the road and guess what, so has Ford and GM.

Since the new HD's from Dodge have only been out a short time I find it hard to swallow that someone just assumes it's a piece of junk because of it's name. Is the 7/ 70,000 a gimmick to sell vehicles, probably but it is a hell of a lot better gimmick than the other brands have going. Finally, Unless someone has substantiated reasons why Dodge has no business doing "real work" then keep your comments to yourself because all it does is pollute someone's head who may be trying to make an educated decision on what truck to spend his hard earned money on.

9. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Nozzleman, I'm not trying to bash Dodge trucks.

"Dodges are for want to be truck owners and they can't handle real work".
    I never said that. I do own a '01 Chevy, but I also looked at Dodge when getting ready to buy my last truck. I just happened to like the Chevy better & I got a really good deal. If this truck proves to be a piece of crap over the long haul then I wont go back. I'm not a die hard any brand man.

Like I said this deal could be GREAT for those who work their trucks as it will break at the worst possible time. So will a Chevy, Ford, Toyota and every other brand. So will your plow, your other equipment, your wallet & your bones. Because so many non work trucks are sold that is how Dodge can offer the warranty & still come out ahead. I bet my truck will break down before 7/70 & after my warranty runs up. I do plan on keeping it that long & it's something I'll have to deal with when the time comes. You Dodge guys will have it fixed for free. That is how you come out ahead if you plan on keeping the truck that long.

As far as the dealer being able to fix it in a timely manner, that is something your need to take into consideration when buying anything that you will make $ off of.
    There are plenty of dealers around here but I've also seen a dealer consist of 20 cars on the lot w/ 2 repair bays. Yes they can fix anything but it will take some time to get the parts shipped in.
    Like w/ my plow trying to find a cable was not an easy task & took me quite a while. The motor bushings did not exist in the area. I was not to happy with that. That is something I will strongly take into consideration when making my next purchase in June.

In my first post I simply stated that along with the fact it will not be covered if you abuse it or it doesn't have the plow prep. Just like any other vehicle out there.

10. Nozzleman

Nozzleman Senior Member

Got Grass, It sound like I owe you an apology. When I read your posts I interpreted some things such as "for the few who work their vehicle (usually own a Ford of GM)"or "just remember tho, when it does break down & you know it will at the worst possible time". As slanderous comments toward Dodge. I will agree that their are more Ford and GM trucks on the road as compared to Dodge but I would bet % wise that they are used for work as much as the others. Also, all trucks will break down at the worst possible time.

I am just tired of dealing with guys who think their Ford or GM truck is the best truck in the world and every other truck (especially Dodge) in a piece of unreliable junk. These individuals could have a truck that is a lemon but they will swear up and down that it is a awesome truck and then when you try to point out their problems they just stick their heads in the sand and ignore you.

Again, I apologize for lumping you in with that crowd.

11. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

:)
    Every man for themselves & a truck that suits their needs & wants...
    Every brand rolls off a lemon occasionally.
    Every truck will have it's problems & it's faults...
    Just look at all the people complaining about the new ugly Chevy front end, how Ford sits up so high, how the new Dodge looks plain, Toyota isn't made in the usa...

I admit I did have a problem with Dodge tyranny's not holding up for plowing a while ago but it looks as if that bug has been worked out.
    If only they got rid of that annoying throttle lag.
    If only Chevy had more ground clearance and Fords had a better ride.
    See, I can pick on everyone....

If you think we fight bad about trucks you don't even wanna hear other guys & their Mustang VS. Camaro debates. Or the ricers with their Nissan VS Honda.
    :drinkup:

12. GMC99

GMC99 Senior Member
    from 60188

Plow Prep package

Anybody know what extra equipment is installed when a truck comes with the plow prep package?

13. Got Grass?

Got Grass? Senior Member

Normally, Tranny cooler, beefed up (max) front end, better alternator.
    Most of what you get with a camper package.

GM, has a aux light switch. Not sure exactly what little things Dodge or Ford offers.

Not all that much as far as equipment goes. The package is well worth it tho, as they cannot void your warranty by sticking a plow on as long as it doesn't exceed legal limits (weight, etc...).

The truck may very well be capable of handling a plow but good luck when something goes wrong. Ya better be good friends w/ someone at the dealership as they are not required to honor your warranty if it doesn't have the package. Yeah, they will still warranty most everything not effected by a plow. I've heard of guys removing the mount & covering up the obvious to get around that. Not worth the possible hassle to me... Just be careful...

Last edited: Apr 23, 2003
  14. Roger Dodger

Roger Dodger Senior Member
    from nw Pa.

I thought that 7/70 warranty has a deductible applied to it per incident? Only the 3/36 bumper-to-bumper has no deductible. BTW, there are a number of other parts covered under warranties of varying length/mileage such as emissions components and others as stated in the stand alone warranty manual in the glove box. Depending what class your Ram falls under some is or is not covered. Having the V10 motor classifies a the light truck as heavy duty and subjects parts of it to extended warranty. Almost not worth it to pay for one of those add-on bumper-to-bumper pkgs.

15. GMC99

GMC99 Senior Member
    from 60188

warranty

When I got my truck, I made sure that it was stated on the warranty papers that a plow was going to be installed on the truck, so hopefully that will hold up!