1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'03-'04 to '05-'06

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by WilliamOak, Sep 13, 2008.

1. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

I know that you can buy kits to update the front ends of the older trucks to look newer, but my real question is can you do the same with chevy? Specifically from the '04 grill and everything to the '05-'06 grill / whatever else is different.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sure can, and in your specific case it's simple.

To switch from the '03-'04 style, to the '05-'06 style all you need to change is the grill and the hood, as that's the only two components that are different between them.

3. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Oakwood, does this mean your not just looking at fords anymore???:D

4. WilliamOak

I need a truck for leaves... Anything will do, GM, Dodge, Ford. Yes Mark, anything lol.

5. WilliamOak

B&B, about how much $ am I looking at for the hood/grill?

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

New in the box from GM..about $800. Looking around for salvage yards the specializes in late model trucks can save a considerable amount. May even be able to find one that would take your '03-'04 parts on trade. :nod:

7. WilliamOak

awesome, thanks. Nothing is official yet (truck wise) I was just wondering.

8. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'd say if your going to swap hoods get a 2" cowl. Most of the time they look much better then the factory hoods.

I say go with a Chevy over a Ford Colin. :D

9. WilliamOak

lol, only reason for chevy right now is my uncles good friend owns a chevy dealer in Dekalb (mooney chevrolet), and hes not your typical car dealer at all.. he's a good guy and I want to buy whatever I get from him because he wont sell me junk. (i know that sounds like a kid trusting someone too much but you would know what I'm talking about if you met him -> that also sounds like something a kid would say lol.).

10. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I've driven Dan's truck and my bosses 6.oh no Ford and an 07 dmax 3500srw and I'd have to tell ya to go with the dmax. Sure it sat a bit lower and didn't have that work truck ride, but it sure got down and went when you found the go pedal, I'm hoping to be able to drive one that has quite a few mods eventually. Whatever you get I'm sure will do the job for ya but I'm just biased,lol. My poor half ton has done more then what a halfton was designed for (4.5k in the bed?) and its still going.

11. WilliamOak

I actually like the '05-'07 chevy front end. cant stand the '04 and older though, it just doesnt look like it should be how the front end of a truck looks no offense mark. B&B,am I wrong to assume that the swap would still work but just be more expensive on an '00 -'02 (maybe just 01-02 i dont really know chevys)? I have never driven a duramax... but from what everyone says I won't be dissapointed.

12. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

if im reading that right, your asking if you can do an 05-06 swap on those years? if so, no. 99-02 was a totally different body style before the 03-06. the grills and hoods are different from 03,04 - 05,06 because mid-generation they do cosmetic change

not sure if i made sense. im tired

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  13. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

In 03 the front ends changed from the more rounded to being more of a slant up and down. My dad has a 2002 silverado 1500 and I don't like the look of it, the 03s and newer I like though.

As far as the dmax the one I got to drive was a crew cab long bed and for its size it had plenty of get up and go. I'm keeping my eye out for a regular or extended cab with a long bed to either replace my 98 or add to the fleet. I'm undecided if I want an lb7 (01-04) or an lly (04.5-05). I'm just unsure if I want the Allison 1000 or try my luck at finding a nice zf6 truck.

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Actually you can if you also swap the fenders, lights, and bumper, your then running the 99-02 front end on an 03-up truck. The chassis, radiator support and under hood mechanicals are the same.

15. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

very nice. guess that would make sense why i see guys at car shows who throw an escalade front clip on older silverados.

16. WilliamOak

mark, what would exactly is a 2" cowl? I think I know what your refering to, but I'm not sure.

17. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

18. WilliamOak

Adding on to this thread, would you still be able to make an '00 (the later models) look like an '05. Looks to me like you would need: bumper, grille and hood. Am I missing anything?

19. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Correct. And of course the fenders and all of the lights

20. WilliamOak

So pretty much everything in front of the driver/passenger door's needs swapping?