1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

03/04 Ram owners, need your advice please!!

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Grunt0311, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Grunt0311

Grunt0311 Member

Hey guys, I need some no BS input on a new truck. Currently I have a 99 F350 SRW with the 7.3 diesel. I absolutely love my truck. My problem is, that I want to get a newer truck, and there is NO WAY I will get a 6.0 Superduty. Way too many problems with those. So my choices are get either an 02 or early 03 Ford, or an 03/04 Dodge. I will be looking at 2500/3500 SRW Quad Cabs with the Cummins. I have a Meyer C8.5 which weighs about 860lbs.

My mom had a 03 Ram1500 and had all kinds of problems with it. Have you guys had any problems with yours? Any rearend problems, or tranny problems? Also, what kind of mileage are you getting? I will probably end up keeping this truck for a while, so what should I expect?

Also, are there any support web sites for dodge truck owners? Ford has a great one that I use often for advice, does Dodge?

Like I said, I have no experience with Dodge trucks at all. I love my Superduty, but Ford really screwed up by taking a good 7.3 and replacing with the 6.0! I would appreciate any input you can give me.

2. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

dieseltruckresource.net, Turbo Diesel Registry (member only website- well worth it) dodgeram.net, many more but these are the ones I frequent.

Don't have one that new to answer much of your questions, but what did your mom do with the 1500? Normal daily driver? Hauling a 5 ton horse trailer? Plowing snow? Etc?
  3. Grunt0311

Grunt0311 Member

Hers was a daily driver, LOTS of highway miles. But she started having rearend problems right away (does that sound weird to anyone but me:dizzy: ). Replace the pinion seal 3 times by 60000 miles, and was having trasmission problems when she traded it in at 70000.
  4. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

that does sound strange.
  5. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

personally i love my truck the truck doesnt sag an inch with my c8 and i load it with a ton of salt in the back too. i also drive it everyday and my only problem iver had since ive had it was the u joints. i have the 6spd and i drove the auto and prefered the manual because it just feels like more power. 1st is a granny gear for sure. let us know how it works out
  6. BlueRam2500

BlueRam2500 Senior Member

I absolutely love my 04.5 2500 CTD. I don't have a plow for it yet but plan on going with the Western Ultramount. I have 40k on the truck and have not had any problems with it. I have the 4.10's and the auto and during the winter I average about 15-17MPG and about 17-20MPG in the summer with
    35' BFG M/T's. I run 33's now for the winter. The fuel mileage is better with the 305/555 motor (2003-early 2004) in case that helps you also. Good luck with a Dodge, you will not regret it.
  7. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

My '04 Ram just turned 50,000 on the way home from work today. I have the Cummins and the NV5600 6 speed, not the Getrag 6 speed. I love my truck. It has been great. I do regular oil changes and frequent fuel filter changes. I would recommend getting one. This is the best site for Dodge diesel owners, DieselRam.com. It's a great site and it covers all years and there is always new topics and threads. Good luck!

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

im on ram #3 ist 95 1500 no problems 98 2500 gas. lots of drive train problems 2 rears driveshaft etc. 04 2500 hemi no problems my only problem i have is it seems like a lot more blind spots than my 98
  9. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

how do i find out what 6spd i have
  10. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

take ur vin and call a dealer or post it up or pm me and ill look it up for you (work for a dodge dealer) also what year and motor is it have.
  11. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

It is very very easy to tell what 6 speed you have. You don't have to call a dealer. The NV5600's have the reverse gear to the right and up. The Getrag has the reverse gear to the left and down. The Getrag was put in 05's and up. Early 05's came with the NV5600, but that is when they changed to Getrag. The NV5600's and NV4500's are no longer produced :realmad: , but they are bullet proof with proper maintenance and not overly abused. The NV5600 has a solid flywheel, the Getrag has a dual mass flywheel. The Getrag is new, but seems to be doing well from what I have learned. I'd still rather have the NV.