1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

03-04 GM 2500HD Tires

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Rob Hausrath, Oct 12, 2003.

1. Rob Hausrath

Rob Hausrath Member

New ride ought to be in any day now...

Wondering if anyone has any experience in putting 285/75-R16 on a 2500HD...

What is available in a Load Range "E" tire?

Thanks in advance!!!:waving:
  2. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

well I didnt go to 285 75R 16, but I did upgrade from a 245's to a 265's

I went with the Bridgestone Dueler AT REVO's they supposedly have very high ratings for wet and snow traction. I bought 5 and swapped out the spare as well.

I like them so far :D but can't really speak on snow traction... YET

Did all my research and shopping on TireRack.com

Check them out.
  3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

i also went to 265 75r 16's, but i went with firestone steeltex's. so far so good. a lot better than the 245s that came with the truck lol.
  4. EZSnow

EZSnow Senior Member

just sold my '99 2500 silverado a few months ago. I had 285's on it for most of its life. I cranked about an inch into the torsions- more for leveling the truck than for clearance. I had them on the stock steels and there was a little interference with the inner fenders... plastic... trimmed it... problem solved. After trimming and turning the bars, it would only rub with the wheels cut all the way to lock, in reverse, plow up, over a bump. They looked good enough to make up for that.

I ran BFG All-Terrains- loved 'em. As far as I know, they are the only tires in that size/ class that have a 3-ply sidewall... great for snow-hidden curblines, and have great snow traction.

BTW- couldn't get those stinking steeltex's off my truck fast enough. The tread broke down and chunked off- not to mention nooo traction.
  5. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

BTW My Bridgestone Dueler REVO's were Load Range E
  6. JustUsDe

JustUsDe Senior Member

I ran BFG All-Terrains on my 97 Blazer last year and I loved them. I drove anywhere I wanted during the blizzard. My friends recommended them also for going out on the beach. I never got to take it out on the beach before I traded it in so I don't know first hand how they do out there. I think I might put a set on my new p/u in the spring.

7. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

Rob Hausrath

I have a good friend that runs 285-75-16's on 8- Chevy 2500 HD 4x4 & he says they are GREAT :waving: He runs BOSS V-blades on all of them with a set of Timbrens & torsion bar cranked ;)
  8. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

A word of cation though......they will fit with a possibility of scrubbage from what I have heard(basicly what ezsnow said) but different rims than the factorys can make em scrub much worse. Offset/width plays a big part.

BTW I have 265's on mine and will probably go bigger(I too couldnt get the 245's off fast enough) But I will look into the
    255 85 16's(I think thats the size) They are about as tall as a 285 but a bit more narrow.
  9. wyldman

wyldman Member

285 will rub a bit on some trucks under heavy articulation.

The Cooper Discoverer AT's are a good all round tire.Long life,decent in the snow,and exceptional dry pavement traction.The Discoverer M&S is an excellent snow only tire too.
  10. EZSnow

EZSnow Senior Member

articulate? ARTICULATE??? Chebbys don't articulate!! Believe me, I've tried. It would go three-wheeling and the compression in the front tires provided more travel than the IFS... The non-swaybar-equipped rear axle did a pretty good job, though.

About the beach- I went to college in FL and did alot of camping in the central part of the state. Let's just say Load E Steeltex 245s dont have much floatation value. Yes, I aired them down. I'd run in 4Lo and most of the time had to deal with viscious 4-corners wheelhop... (white-knuckled and waiting for breakage)

Switched to the BFGs... 15lbs of air... TWO WHEEL DRIVE in the same places and situations!! Not to mention the winter traction as I moved back to Gods country. I'm a lifer!!
  11. Little Jay

Little Jay Senior Member

275's on my '02 hd...goodyear ats...pricy but are fantastic
  12. Rob Hausrath

Rob Hausrath Member

Little Jay-

275's huh? Not a common size... are they available in "E" Load Range?

Any rubbing?

Also, with a change in size, how does the factory computer handle it?

13. long0

long0 Senior Member

I put a set of 285 Discover AT's on my 01 2500 HD after my stock 245's ended their life. With timbrens and the bars cranked 2.5, they rubbed all over the place with out the plow on with stock rims. I drove the truck for about a week saying I was going to get to trimming the plastic, but I could not get over the poor handling of the truck. I felt a lot of slop in the wheel and the brakes did not feel nearly the same as compared to the smaller size.

I ended up putting those on my ford, and went with 265 re-treads. The 265's have been great in all aspects. No trimming of plastic, no more slop in the wheel, and the brakes worked like they did with the 245's.

14. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

The 285's need a 8inch rim at least. You end up with a tire that is rounded at the tread instead of flat like they should be. I ran them on my truck for a few months and results were the same , handled like crap and one of the tires ended up slipping a belt. Went to the 265 BFG's and they have been great. Almost 50,000 miles on them.
  15. Little Jay

Little Jay Senior Member

so many numbers floating in my head.
    on my 02 2500hd i have goodyear ats 265/75/16's
    load range d.
    my trucks an ext cab short box and i run an 8 ft western pro with pro wings and an 8 ft snowman back blade. i have 10 bags of salt (500 lbs) that i go thru in a night. i've run this set up, or similar for 8 yrs and have never had a tire problem with regards to the load range. we keep the same tires on all our other trucks-some have less weight, most are similar. i love the tires but you have got to have an "in" to afford them.
  16. Bucksnort

Bucksnort Junior Member

Good reply by JoeyD on rim width.Speaking of that,anyone know the rim width of the optional GM wheels on an '02 HD?Got a chance to buy 4 steel rims to mount real snows on but havn't looked into the width aspect yet of either wheel.Just a matter of getting time to drive there but nice to have info beforehand.
  17. wyldman

wyldman Member

I run 285/75R16 BFG Mud-Terrains on 16X7 Alcoa's in the summer on my personal truck.I went with the narrower 7 inch rim as I wanted additional bead protection so the rims don't get beat up on curbs and trail obstacles.I've had no problems with the tires,or tire wear,as long as the tire pressures are correct based on loaded weight.Only 20,000 miles on this one so far though.Handling seems to be just as good,if not better than stock.
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2003
  18. wyldman

wyldman Member

Here is a pic.You can see how the tire bulge protects the rims from obstacles.Nice on a plow truck for getting tight against curbs.

19. wyldman

wyldman Member

Close up