1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

03-04 Dakota quad cab with plow?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Brett K, Feb 28, 2006.

1. Brett K

Brett K Member

I am considering getting out of my current 3/4 ton Silverado plow truck mainly because of a lack of reliability and lack of rear passenger room. I would like to go with something a little more manageable for my wife around town, enough room for the baby seat in the back, and strong enough for a light duty plow. I have read that I can go with a plow under 500lbs and most likely I will add timbrens. I am considering a Blizzard 720LT at 380lbs or a 6ft9in fisher at around 450lbs. Is a Dakota quad cab with a v8 a good pick? What does the tow package consist of? stronger suspension, different rear ratio, better cooling, trans cooler, etc? or am I better off adding these aftermarket?

Thanks for any input you might have.
  2. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

trailer to will add trany cooler and probabily engine oil cooler, tow frame and trailer harness.
    you want heavy duty service and/or snow plow prep for bigger alt and tougher front springs which I doubt they offer on a Dakotas, especially qcabs. There will be no camper special package which would add rear booster springs and sway bars.

If you're looking for plowing your own drive and maybe a friends or 2 you should be ok, but this will not hold up to commercial use. the Trucks not designed for it, espeically with the weight distribution of the Qcab. You might have a tought time finding someone to install the plow with no manufacturer listed approval there will be no application listings for it.
  3. Brett K

Brett K Member

From what I have found so far, Blizzard, Fisher, Boss, Hinikerm and Western all list applications for the Dakota and their front axle rating is actually higher than a half ton ram.
  4. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

I am renting this truck right now as my ram is having some body work done. DO NOT BUY IT. Trust me, after driving your 3/4 ton around this dinky truck sucks. IMO you would be better off getting an SUV for what you have described.

CURLERIC Member
    from NY

I Got The Suv 05 Durango W/ 7.5' Hiniker & Timbrens I'll Let U Know How It Goes. You Will Likely Void Warranty Without Hook.