1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

02 Superduty Dual Batt. Install Gas motor

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by TJS, Aug 7, 2011.

1. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Ok long story short. My freakin tire tread separated on the highway last Saturday and took out the fender, plastic wheel opening, front bumper brackets (already welded those) and dented the bottom of the door. I was still able to drive it home cause the tire never blew. Scary ****. I had the truck going sideways trying to correct it. All I saw was tire smoke behind me like an airliner landing. I pulled over on the Hwy and saw the damage and the tire. I limped home on the backroads. The tread was already on the side of the road way behind me and I was not about to be a casualty on the hwy. as I think I had a casualty in my shorts.
    Soooooooo, this gave the opportunity to install my Ford battery tray I got a year ago. I had to cut the battery tray so it mounts north to south to make it fit because of the air box and the canister purge set up. I had to relocate the canister purge set up under the air box bracket which took some major cutting and welding of the factory canister purge bracket. Once I got that all set I had to move the power steering pump resivour. Made some threaded bushings and welded them to some flat stock and then plug welded it to the inner fender support. I just have to make a tab for the bottom of the P/S resivour and I am done. Still waiting for a fender and inner plastic wheel house to come in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

WOW!! That tire came apart like a retread! You were lucky it held air. Good looking fabrication for the dual battery mount. I bet it will make a big difference plowing this season.

kevlars

3. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Those tires are not re-treads either.

4. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

I know they aren't. But it almost looks like one. I think those tires are made by Cooper. Coopers are good tires. How many miles were on the tire that shredded?

kevlars

5. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Maybe 10k. There is plenty of life left on the treads. I will take a pic of the good ones when I get a chance. Right now I cannot trust the rest of the tires. Time for some new ones.
    T.J.

6. kevlars

kevlars Senior Member

I would be getting ahold of the place you bought them about warranty on them.

Kevlars

7. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

Yea something is not right, I would check the date code and find out how old these tires are. I would also be contacting a cooper retail shop.Have them reimburse you for the tires and repairs.

8. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Never updated this. Pics of install. Used heavy welding cable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Dublin Plow

Dublin Plow Member

I need this set up...just got a super sweet 02' V-10 Just messin with the plow and I see the issues coming..I run all LED strobes and back-up lamps but a 2nd battery is sure to help with the draw from the plow and spreader.

How do I get this set up from you????????

thanks,

10. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

This was just a one off. Tons of mock up tacking in place and cutting the new tray mounts and rewelding them back on so it fits.

11. Dublin Plow

Dublin Plow Member

Good job anyway...I am no wrench-turner except when I have to be...2x4's and nails are my gig...My buds are the metal fab guys and they just tell me to buy some wildly large alternator to the tune of $400 plus...

I will see how it goes..never an issue with the diesels..1st gas-job in looooong time.

12. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

TJS - I just jumped over here...did you get a kit or all bought individually? What gauge you go with 2 - 4??

13. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

I went with welding cable. I cannot remember. I will get you the size later. It was a diesel tray that I turned 180 degress and relocated the canister purge and brackets. I also had to move the P/S resovior and make a bracket for that as well. So it is a cobbled up "kit". I tried making this look as factory as I could. Ran this set up for 2 seasons now. I run a lot of strobes and no issues.
    T.J.

14. MajorDave

MajorDave Senior Member

Looks real good - good job man!