1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

02' Stroke starter problem

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by 2007Western1, Feb 10, 2010.

1. 2007Western1

2007Western1 Junior Member

Does anyone or has anyone experienced the starter on your diesel having trouble staying engaged on cold mornings? I just replaced the starter about 2 weeks ago and on sub 25 deg. mornings it acts like the bendix randomly engages the flywheel but will not maintain. Once the truck fires it starts without issue the rest of the day.

2. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

NAPA starter?

3. 2007Western1

2007Western1 Junior Member

Autozone life-time warranty aftermarket.

4. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 Senior Member

sounds like the solenoid doesnt like being cold

5. Gumpy52

Gumpy52 Member

We had one of our trucks that did the same thing, after two starters in 4 months, we replaced the flywheel. It had a small flat spot on it. May not be your problem, right now, but something to look at, if a new starter doesn't help.

6. bigbadbrad

bigbadbrad Senior Member

i have the same exact problem in my truck, started last year when it was 40 bellow for a week stright, thought it was the cold weather, let it be when it warmed up it was fine, fine all summer, good most of the winter since i now park it inside a heated garage was ar at my new house, i let it stay outside one night when it stay outside one night this winter when it was around 0 and it would not engauge at all just spin, when it warmed up the next day it started after a couple atempents and the starter would kick out and grind. ordered new starter yesterday, a high torque new replacement, hopefully it fixes it, when i change the starter i am going to take the lower cover off and check my flexplate also to make sure there are no broken teeth

7. veggin psd

veggin psd Senior Member

FWIW

The flexplate is one thing that should be replaced when doing trans repairs/replacement.

Its just one less thing down the road to not have to worry about.

Sorry I know it has little to do with the OP, but worth mentioning.:nod:

8. fordplowkid

fordplowkid Member

burr on the flywheel? next time it does it take a 11/16? socket and spin it acouple turns

9. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

Fill out you signature to help us. What year is the truck.