1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

02 silverado trailer wiring ?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Bill c, Aug 8, 2003.

1. Bill c

Bill c PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ny

Hi guys the trailer plug on my 02 2500 the left signal and the running lights have no power.I went to uhaul to rent a car dolly and while I was inside paying the employee who helped me hook up was trying to splice a new pigtail on and was touching the wires randomly using my harness for power to see what wires did what.He eventually got the harness wired but it would not work on my truck.After double checking his work I grabbed a test light out of my box and realized I had no power on two of the prongs.Pi$$ed off I went inside and raised hell about this moron using my power to figure out which wire to splice into.I used the truck to move my dump trailer last night and the lights worked perfect.Is it possible that there is a circuit breaker or a fuse that would cause this problem.Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

I would bet that the fuses for the turn signal and running lights blew out when that moron was testing and somehow short-circuited them. Each prong on trailer harness has their own fuse. I believe that each turn signal is 10A fuse, not sure about running light, I would say 10A or 15A. But just check your owner manual, it will tell you exactly where each fuse are. Good luck.

3. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

I just watched a guy go thru this this afternoon in a 02' HD,The fuses to the trailer plug were under the hood and he had blown one.

4. Bill c

Bill c PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ny

Thanks for the info guys.Stephen the blown fuses were located under the hood,10 amp turn signal and 15 amp for the running lights. I learn something new with these trucks everyday.None of my past trucks had fuse protection on those circuits but I would rather change a fuse then burn up the harness.

5. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

No problem. Glad to help you. I really like the GM idea of having individual fuse for each prong (each function of trailer). Maybe not every prong, but most of them at least. In the past on older vehicles, you run into the risk of having problem when tapping trailer plug harness to your vehicle taillights. Some trailers have more lights than the vehicle lights system can handle, and would blow up the fuse easily, or in worst case, melt the wires. :eek:

That's why Drawtite makes Modulite units. You supply the power from the battery to that device, and it will supply the power to each individual light function on the trailer. It works by tapping each light function from the unit to the taillight. When the taillight is activated, it send a switching signal to the unit (draws very small amount of current), and that unit will activate the specific trailer lights by using the current coming from the battery, not through the taillight power. But I have been having alot of problems with them (Drawtite Modulite), and actually disliked them. I had two units that went bad on me and both were replaced under warranty. That was on my old Toyota pickup.

GM eliminated those potential problems on newer vehicles. Each circuit has it own fuse for trailer, so if something shorted out or overloaded, only that circuit fuse will blow and not work while the rest of other circuits will continute to work. It also will not affect the vehicle lights, so you have less problem and still could stay on the road. And it is very easy to fix it. Just change the fuse and you are back on the road. ;)

Last edited: Aug 9, 2003