1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

02 silverado 2500hd a couple quick questions

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by SharpBlades, Dec 26, 2012.

1. SharpBlades

SharpBlades Senior Member

Hey everyone. I have a couple quick questions about my truck

It's an 02 2500hd with plow package. The plow is a 9.5' x vee.

1: what size alternator does this setup have? I want to pick up a spare.

2: the voltage has been dropping more than normal when I lift the plow to stack. I cleaned some rust and corrosion off the post that the alternator cable goes onto, so hopefully that helps, how low does your voltmeter normally read when lifting your plow?

3: every once in a while the trans temp meter goes up to 200* (it normally holds at 140*-150*) when it goes up what is the best way to cool it- ie which gear should I keep it in when idling on the side of the road?

2. SharpBlades

SharpBlades Senior Member

Everyone must be out plowing? I guess that's a good thing

3. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

1. Check your RPO codes. They're printed on a label in your glovebox. Google up an RPO decoder and feed them in. Even better, go to compnine.com and feed in your VIN, it'll give you a complete list of your RPOs and their descriptions.

2. Maybe someone else can answer.

3. Should be best to put it in park/neutral, I'm pretty sure the pump runs in all gear selections.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Gee, it's been two hours. Relax.

Search Big Three here. All those cables and connections need to be clean and of adequate size.

How old is the battery?

5. Arcticstorm

Arcticstorm Junior Member

I have about the same truck. Chevy 02 2500HD with 8.1 and Alison trans. I wonder what engine and trans combo you have. The Alison may creep up to around 180 but never saw 200 even towing a 11000 pound boat and trailer combo. I have learned a bunch owning this truck but love it overall. I recall the Alternator is 168 AMP. Mine takes a good drop raising the 860 SW Blizzard thats on it but has never been an issue like other trucks in the past. New battery this year may be a little better but not sure. .

I have read not to do anything the the existing trans cooler on the Alison trans because it is specific size for that trans. Biggest issue with my truck has been the exhaust manifold leak that I lived with for a year before swapping out for Gibson headers. Longer story that I will post in the future but its done now, minus about $1500 from my wallet.

6. mn-bob

mn-bob Senior Member

Quote TheHolycow Check your RPO codes. They're printed on a label in your glovebox. Google up an RPO decoder and feed them in. Even better, go to compnine.com and feed in your VIN, it'll give you a complete list of your RPOs and their descriptions.

X2 But I think you will find that it is 145 Amp ussmileyflag

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  7. Mike N

Mike N Senior Member

I don't know how close to Rochester you are, but there's an alternator shop here named Pro-Rebuilders that offers a 200 amp alternator for your truck. I've installed a handful of them in customers commercial plow trucks and they've been great. 585-254-0130 is their #.

8. 02Silverado

02Silverado Junior Member

Hi, do you remember how much one of those set you back. I'm looking to get one for my truck, and I'm in Spencerport too.

9. Mike N

Mike N Senior Member

Sorry for the late response, I think the last one I bought was $225 with a core.

Pro is on Adelaide St which is off of Lyell Ave.

10. 04hd

04hd Senior Member
    from WI

thanks for the site (compnine.com) great place!

11. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

When was the last time the batteries were unhooked and tested individually? The tranny temp is normal, in fact when plowing i have seen mine go as high as 220deg when the truck begins getting hot from carrying the blade in warm weather. Best answer to that is electric fans but i myself have not done that upgrade yet. This is the best place and price for everything in one bundle for the upgrade that i have found: http://ffdynamics.com/extreme.html
    It is also claimed you will gain up to 27hp and 1more mile to the gallon with electric fans.

12. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

The overheating was common on those and a replacement of the fan clutch will make things better . Easy and cheap to replace.