1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'02 silverado 2500hd 6.0L acting up

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by SharpBlades, Sep 7, 2012.

1. SharpBlades

SharpBlades Senior Member

Ive got a 2002 silverado with the 6L engine and it has meet acting strange. It first started about a month and a half ago after the truck had been sitting for a week or so.

I went to start it and it died as soon as it turned over, I went to start it again and nothing happened... Almost as if the battery wasn't connected. Then after a few turns of the key, it fired right up.

Intermittently (every 1 or 2 times I would drive it) it would either do the same thing, or start and idle real rough, shaking as though it was mis-firing, or start and idle fine, then idle rough and or stall when I would stop at a red light.

Right now I have it idling outside my shop just fine @ about 500rpm's. I went to drive it up and down the road to mix in some sea foam to the gas tank and it would start to idle really rough at around 250 rpm's as soon as I let off the gas peddle, almost dying (loosing power steering and such)

It first I was thinking maybe it was a bad thermostat, but sometimes it will start just fine when cold and run perfectly fine, plus the temp gauge in the dash isn't acting funny at all.

It isn't throwing any engine codes...

Any ideas?

2. searay220

searay220 Member

I would try cleaning out the throttlebody.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Fuel pressure test is in order. How would a bad thermostat affect a stone cold engine?

4. SharpBlades

I guess I should have said coolant temp sensor... I had a similar problem when I had my s10 and that was what it was

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Big difference. But CTS isues are pretty since rare on post TBI engines

6. SharpBlades

Do you think it could be a fuel pump?

7. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Do a tune up plugs, wires, test coils, clean tb, fuel filter,clean maf sensor. How old is/are the battery/s? Are they corroded? Could be gummed up injectors, or maybe bad gas, you didnt accidently put diesel in it did you?

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

A fuel pump test can help determine the condition of the fuel pump. Which is why my first reply to this thread said a fuel pump test is in order.

9. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Solid advise dont throw parts at it. It is the very first thing a mechanic would do after looking at the data and codes on a scan tool.

10. Plow More

Plow More Senior Member

It can? No way! I would have to say a fuel pump test is in order

11. SharpBlades

Lol. Just put it on a scanner and apparently it needs a mass airflow sensor... Does that sound right?

12. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Absolutely.

13. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Good place to start I would scope it before I change it not everyone has a lab scope. Dont waste time cleaning it its never worked for me yet.

14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

We're going to have some fun....