1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

02 silv 2500 HD

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by trinitygrove, Nov 11, 2005.

1. trinitygrove

trinitygrove Member

I've been searching for an hour about payload for my truck. I've got some questions that I hope you guys can answer for me. I need to buy a salter and im not sure if my truck can handle it. (which weighs about 600 lbs itself)
    Will my truck be able to handle 2 yards of salt?
    How much weight am I looking at with 2 yards of salt and the salter itself?
    Am I stupid for even thinking of doing such harm to my truck?

Thank you in advance to everyone who replies.

MIke

2. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Hi Mike
    I had a 01 2500 HD which I had a snowex vee pro 8000 in the back with stock springs. With a ton of salt the rear bumper would be pretty low. This year I have a new 05 2500 HD and put air bags under the rear, which can handle 5000 lbs. Now Im not sure but can guess that the truck can't handle 5000 lbs in the bed. Two yards in the rear plus the weight of the spreader might be pushing the limit.

Good Luck Mike

3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Mike,

2 yards of salt is going to weigh between 3500 and 4000lbs. You also have the weight of the salter. Do you have a plow as well?
    If you are buying bulk salt from a local supplier you have to make sure you don't get a real wet load. They scrape all the extra salt that falls off the trucks that are being loaded back into the bin.
    Most of the trucks that salt around here are similar to yours. They drive down the road over loaded but nobody seems to bother them. If you have locations that are very close to the depot you might consider not loading the salter full and just make an extra trip.

One of my salt trucks is a 03 3500 Chev with the gas engine. It has a steel flat deck on the back. It has a 2 yard salter with 2x6 boards on top. Fully loaded that truck leaves the shop at 11,500lbs.

4. GetMore

GetMore Senior Member

IIRC the rated payload capacity is 3,500 lbs.
    I know it is over 3,000 but I'm not positive on how far over.

5. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Cet
    I am lucky in that I have a job right around the corner from my supplier, so I get loaded up and go ovet there and use aboy 1/3 yrd then the truck is in pretty good shape. With my new truck and the air bags 1 yard of salt even wet so not be a big deal.

Regards Mike

6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

You are also lucky that you are an owner/operator. You know that you are pushing your limits but will take the necessary percautions to be as safe as possible.

7. calhoun

calhoun Senior Member

There is no set payload. The trucks are rated at Gross Weight which means the maximum that the entire truck/cargo/passengers/equipment/etc, can weigh. All 2500 HD are rated at 9200lbs. A reg cab will carry more than an extend cab just because it weighs less to begin with since both have the same gvw ratings. These are the maximum legal weights and are very conservative. They are determined for constant use at that weight. It may not be legal but you can haul lots more I just would not do it everyday.