1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

02 Ram Cummins

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Stik208, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

I am looking to lower my payment and get something a bit more HD so I am looking at this Ram....http://www.americanmuscleny.com/vehicledetails.aspx?VID=142636715
    Are they any known poblems with this year of the Cummins or Dodge? I am aware of tranny problems that sometimes occur, I have plowed with a Dodge of this style although a 360 so Im familiar with how to treat the tranny. Any info would be great.

2. mike6256

mike6256 Senior Member

Lift pumps, injection pump if lift pump goes, rust under the doors, dashboard cracks, and the rest of the other normal wear and tear stuff....
    But they will PUSH snow!!!
  3. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Mike nailed it. The 24V VP pump can overheat if pressure is lost, so installing a fuel pressure guage will help a lot. The 47RE tranny is much better than the 46RE found behind the V8's (The V10's also use the 47RE). They will generally fail if you add a bunch of power to the motor but can be built up very well. If ran stock, kept cool, and maintained then you should be golden.

Personally I'd change the govenor solenoid every other tranny fluid change. They can be found cheap online ($47 or so) and is a good way to keep the tranny safe.

Best of luck, thats a decent price for that truck.
  4. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

Mike got them all but they are pushers! Just do some checking on the price that seems high to me!
  5. IC-Smoke

IC-Smoke Senior Member

Not bad looking! you will have disk brakes on the rear with this truck. If the truck runs a little warm look at the back of the radiator, there is a crankcase breather cup that fills with oil (supposed to empty at oil changes) then gets splashed on the back of the radiator and in return raises the temps.

It is missing the filter-minder on the air box
  6. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Surprisingly that price is about what they are going for around here with even higher miles.
  7. wideout

wideout Senior Member
    from iowa

Man i wish i could have got that for mine when i sold it! i bought my 06 for 17,000
  8. oldbluehairhemi

oldbluehairhemi Senior Member

the 24v are great but if it was me i would save my money. they are great engines and last really long but there is turbo lag and accerlation is not that great in stock form. now if you dump tons of money into it you can get it to do whatever in the world you want it to do. the best idea is get the common rail (03andnewer) i was a dodge mechanic for some years and i did mostly diesel and trans work. the common rail with the 48RFE is a way better bet.
  9. Stik208

Stik208 PlowSite.com Addict

Im not sure what I am going to do yet. I dont really have the patience to sell mine outright but im not upside down which is good. Ill keep you updated. If anyone is interested in a nbs Sierra crew let me know.