1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

02 PSD white smoke question?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by BBailey, Jan 20, 2007.

1. BBailey

BBailey Junior Member
    from Vermont

Have not really been running my diesel a lot this winter because of the lack of snow but when I started it today I got some pretty good white smoke from the exhaust for about 1 minute or so? I have had it idling a couple of times for 10 minutes or so at a time over the last few weeks to keep everything moving. Any ideas? Suggestions or comments will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
  2. scuba875

scuba875 Senior Member

If you haven't been running it much and the temp is cold outside you will get some white smoke. It sounds like once the engine warmed up it stoped so I wouldn't be concerned.
  3. BBailey

BBailey Junior Member
    from Vermont

Yes, once it warmed up it was gone. But after idling for 15 minutes today and then taking for a spin down the road, what a smoke show for the first couple hundred feet!!! Probably not running it enough with the lack of snow lately.
  4. scuba875

scuba875 Senior Member

Yeah when I went on vacation last month my truck smoked for a while as well. It had not run it in 12 days and it was cold out. once it warmed up it was ok but like you said at first I smoked out the neighbors.
  5. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Like said above, if it's not been running for awhile than that shouldnt present a problem. If the truck continues to blow white smoke after the engine reaches normal temperatures, than your losing your turbo.....and a turbo purchase is in your future.:rolleyes:
  6. BBailey

BBailey Junior Member
    from Vermont

Once the truck warms up the smoke is gone, and the turbo will push you back in the seat!!! During the summer the truck was moving all the time, no problem with smoke. With the lack of snow this year it is not getting used much. I was just surprised at first to see the smoke. Thanks so far for the input.
  7. J29

J29 Senior Member

Diesel's don't produce nearly as much heat at idle as gassers do. My 99 will put out white smoke for the first half mile, but then goes away. What you're describing sounds perfectly normal to me. Hope that helps. J.
  8. Rampart Ranger

Rampart Ranger Senior Member

After starting the PCM should identify cold and humidity. Make sure park brake is set and trans in park or neutral, RPMs should increase after about a minute to 1100-1200. RPMs will cycle between idle and fast idle.

No need to allow engine to come fully to operating temp, that can take a long time for diesels (espescially if she wears no bra). After oil is flowing well, go ahead and drive (moderately) until all is up to temp.

Put a bra on her, plug her in parked under 20F and this will be minimized.

We had several -20 nights recently. Engine heater and bra did fine, but 1 year old Interstate MegaTron+ batteries (2x875CCA) failed. Charger for half hour. Batteries will go back, should be 100% replacement. Trojans on boat in garage (unheated) had dropped to 60% after having been fully charged the night before. Cold is hard on everything - espescially my old carcass!
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2007
  9. cornbinder

cornbinder Senior Member

when it's cold you'll get white smoke from any vehicle out of the tailpipe. it comes from the exhaust system as it warms, the hot air going threw the cooler pipe makes the white smoke. when the exhaust system warms up and gets hot the white smoke is gone. later, pete