1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

02 gmc 3500 fuel pump problem

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Snowguy01, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Snowguy01

Snowguy01 Senior Member
    from Erie

I have a 02 3500 gmc my problem is that all of a sudden the rear fuel tank quit transferring fuel to the front tank and the gas gage stopped reading. then all of a sudden my plow solenoid stopped and replaced and the gage started to move now got a new fuel pump and went to install it and when we too the rear one out the gas was empty so it started to work again. went to fill it up and the gas gage only reads in between f and 3/4 what is going on do i replace the rear pump or is there a censor that is bad some ware please help

2. damian

damian Senior Member

you need two properly operating fuel senders,the senders report to the fuel module ahead of the front tank,when the front tank gets lower then the rear tank, the module turns on the transfer pump and pumps rear to front. the module averages the two sender readings and reports to the dash guage.this is a simplified explaination and all diag for this lousy system needs to be done with a scan tool and a service manual.