1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'02 gmc 1500 spare tire mechanism

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Metz, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Metz

Metz Member

so that little crank thingy is stripped, and i can't drop my spare tire down.
    1. is there another way to get the spare down?
    2. is it difficult to replace that little crank thingy?
    3. what is that little crank thingy called?:D

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If it is stripped inside the "hoist assembly" (GM name for the part) then the best way to first remove the spare is to use a torch and "nick" the end off the cable (place a floor jack or stand of some sort under the tire to support it first). Once the nub on the end if the cable is gone the horseshoe shaped retainer piece will slid off the end of the cable allowing the tire to come down.

With the tire out of the way you simply remove the bolts holding the hoist to the cross member and pop the crank rod out of the plastic door on the bumper and remove the hoist from the truck

3. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

I don't know how a GM compares to a Dodge but I just had to replace a shear pin, fairly easy fix! :D