1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

02 F350 Timbrens or Air Bags

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by kimber750, Oct 5, 2011.

1. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

I will be having my Fisher XV 8' 6" installed soon and I want to beef the front end up a bit. I use airlift 1000's on my F150 and have been very happy with them. The airbags for the F350 are about $100 more than the Timbrens. If money wasn't an issue which would you choose?

Little more info on the F350. It is a CC long bed diesel. I did have a meyers 8' on the F350 and only sagged an inch or two. The XV should only be about #100 more. Also it would be nice to level the truck out a bit. The F350 already has aftermarket springs on it that were built by a local shop Stanely Springs. Front should be #6500 springs.
  2. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

My buddy plows for me with a 1 ton crew cab short box 7.3 00' with a 9'2" boss V and his truck hardly sags at all when its up. We have a 03 3/4 ton with a 7'6" poly boss and it hardly touches that truck when its up. If you really feel you need extra suspension support, I would go with the timbrens. I used a set last year on my jimmy and loved them. I bet once you have the plow on you may change your mind though. The solid axle and leaf springs I think will make all the difference
  3. kimber750

thank you,

I will wait and see how it looks once the plow is on.
  4. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

If you have "XX" code springs (leaf) then you should not need to do anything. Check your door build tag.
  5. kimber750

All the springs have been replaced on the truck.
  6. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Run the air bags, it's well worth the money.
  7. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

If they fit. If the springs have been replaced, odds are they're not going to be the same height as factory springs, so an airbag kit may not bolt up. If that weren't the case, my recommendation would be air bags as well, I love them on my Fords. Timbrens replace the bump stop, and again, may be ineffective if the truck has a spring lift. 100 lbs isn't going to make much of a difference. If you were happy with how the truck handled a plow before, I wouldn't worry about it.
  8. kimber750

I have been very happy with the ones on the F150. That is why I have been thinking of adding a set to the 350.

Good point, truck sits maybe 2" higher than stock. If I do decide to get the bags I will have to call to find out if this will matter. Hopefully I will have the plow on in a week or so and I will decide then. I can't remember what the rating on the rear springs is but I have put a ton and half of pellets in it and it doesn't even hit the helpers.
  9. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

I assume your looking at the Firestone Bags, if so the same kit is used for stock ride height up to 4" lift.

Attached Files:

• bags.pdf
      File size:
      153.6 KB
  10. kimber750

Was actually looking at Loadlifter 5000's from airlift.
  11. Morrissey snow removal

Morrissey snow removal PlowSite.com Addict

we dont run eathier we just run heavier springs never had good luck with the air bags
  12. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Look up the install instructions online. It will tell you what the distance needs to be between the frame and spring pack, take a measurement and see if they'll work. Thumbs Up I really like the airbags on our plow trucks. The 2 leaf spring front superduties have them and we really only ever need to inflate them about 1/2 way, they have tons of capacity, way more than we need even for the blizzards. The coil rite bags on the newer super duties help too, but they only have 1000lb capacity at a max 60 psi, so we end up upgrading the coils anyway.
  13. sd_truck_tech

sd_truck_tech Inactive

I would probably use Timbren

In the shop here we definitely install both according to customer preference. This 02 F350 Timbren will work great for you and the nice thing is you do not have to air up and down. That is normally how I try and make my customers decide between the two. If you are extremely concerned with the ride quality, why not use the Firestone 2223, but if you just want to add some additional load support, not sag, and protect your springs, then go with the timbren as it is easier install and easier maintenance.

Let me know if you have any further questions.:mechanic: