1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

02 f350 super duty reg cab

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by corbel, Sep 23, 2010.

1. corbel

corbel Junior Member

I'm going to look at one with low milage, 47k, 8ft bed, reg cab, 8'plow and tailgate salter. Anything special I should be looking for with these vehicle? Any known issues or weak links that I should be looking for?
  2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

what motor? what trans?
  3. corbel

corbel Junior Member

7.3 turbo diesel, auto trans
  4. gusdust

gusdust Senior Member

Rusted oil pan, tired front end parts- brakes, ball joints, etc. Especially if it lives in salt.
  5. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Check the front end for sure, check for rusting, get a trusted mechanic to inspect it, and maybe even find one who specializes in diesel. See if the truck has been plowed with, if so find out how long, etc.
  6. corbel

corbel Junior Member

took it for test ride yeaterday, drove good, brought it to a local mechanic and asked if he could throw it up on lift for me to check out. they did, and went through it for me (very nice guy, didnt even want any money, gave him 20 anyway), check front end play and ball joints, minimal rust but it definitely has seen plowing, from low miles he said it probably has plowed since day one, oil pan was sprayed with under coating, new brake lines, new trans cooler lines, new tires. I think I am going to take it and get rid of the jeep. Jeep was fun and all, made it thru last winter, but to much of a pita because we salt all the locations. we have some really tight lots that it works great for, but we did them the year before with the dodge so I figure I can do it with the ford too. Anyone know what the total length is on a reg cab 8 ft bed with blade and tailgate salter on? It was tight with the dodge with no salter, hoping that the reg cab 8ft is shorter than quad cab 6ft?
  7. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Wonder how that pan looks under that undercoating? If it had any rust when they undercoated they would have made it worse.