1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

02 f350 gasser

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by unhcp, Feb 21, 2010.

1. unhcp

unhcp PlowSite.com Addict

I went and looked at a 2002 f350 4x4 xl 5.4 regular cab with 45k miles on it and a mm1 plow on saturday down in Mass and I think I want to buy it. They have done a bunch of work to it, including tires, ball joints, brakes exhaust etc. Is there anything I should look at it specifically?

2. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

leaking fluids from front and rear diffs...shifting smoothly, running smoothly.. 02s can spit plugs from the heads, maybe take a peak for any evidence of that.....(bent fuel rails, spliced wires on the COPS)

3. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Oil pan rust, leaking/cracked exhaust manifolds, undercarriage rust. 5.4 is a good motor.

4. unhcp

the oil pan has been changed they said, the undercarriage looked decent for a older truck, i am worried about the manifolds a bit, but i didn't any noise, i will look for sure next time.

5. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

Exhaust manifolds, are they rusty? Those motors are pretty low on power IMO, seen lots of them with leaking exhaust manifolds, they are almost always rotted and its an ordeal to change them. Check it out good, 45k miles is really low. Good luck with it.

6. unhcp

they did look a little rusty, is there a way to tell right off the bat?

7. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

Is the exhaust leaking? Is it ticking? If they aren't leaking yet they will. Truck has really low miles, which means it probably sat around alot. Has it had the plow since new? How is the rest of the truck? if the truck is in overall good shape it probably a good sign that it got cleaned after plowing. Just check it over good, with 45k all those pieces already replaced???

8. unhcp

it was owned by a landscaping company and then this guy bought it to plow his gas station this year, and it has sat but I guess my real question is, is this truck better than some 85k truck around, a lot of the stuff is just basic , like tires and brakes, and the price is right

9. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

brakes are just junk on those model year trucks...rotors are trashy metal, i had mine replaced at 20k miles. ball joints also tend to go out because ford makes a non greasable type for some reason. 5.4 is a stout motor, you'll run out of traction before you do power. i like the guy who drives a duramax who says its underpowered....your driving a semi compared to the little gasser...whats the asking price?

10. unhcp

10,9 with a mm 1 plow

11. unhcp

is there anyone around beverly mass, that is where the truck is

12. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

:laughing: a SEMI!!!! Ha yeah it is, but compared to a 5.3 or 6.0 GM engine the 5.4 is still underpowered, those Super Duty trucks with a 5.4 are gutless, especially with a load on it or a plow hanging off the front.

Probably enough power to push the normal (4"6" of snow) but I know plenty of guys around here with a 5.4 in F250's and F350's. Just seems they are always to the floor to make it work for them??