1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

02 F250 What yeah think?

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by chs1993, Sep 14, 2008.

1. chs1993

chs1993 Senior Member

Im looking at buying this truck what do you think, never owned a diesel, moving on from my 5.4l trition. what problems do you for see me having? would you buy it? Heres the info:

This 2002 Ford F-250 Super Duty XLT 4x4 features a 7.3L V8 DIR Turbo 8cyl Diesel engine. It is equipped with a 4 speed automatic transmission. The vehicle is Red with a Grey Cloth interior. Air Conditioning, Cruise Control, Power Steering, Power Windows, Power Door Locks, Power Mirrors, Tow Package, Tachometer, Tilt Steering Wheel, Driver Airbag, Passenger Airbag, Keyless Entry, ABS Brakes, Fog Lights, Intermittent Wipers, AM-FM, Cassette, CD Player, Wheels, Cloth Interior Surface, Four Wheel Drive 164000 miles. There asking 11,200 at a ford dealership good deal or no?

truck.jpg

2. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

I think $9,995 would be a deal. Nice clean truck tho. Diesel or not that is high mileage for that age.

3. chs1993

chs1993 Senior Member

so would you stay away from it? Other than the miles it in awesome shape.

4. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

I would say no deal.

5. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Miles are A little high None the less still would make A nice plow truck. I would just look at the oil pan real close about 20 something hours to replace the oil pan if rotted and alot of them are. Other then that 7.3 are good for a ton of miles, if it was taken care of. I would never ever go back to a gas pig for plowing ever. Im on my second diesel now after 3 gas trucks. U will love it. Also agree 10 grand is more along the line of a good deal.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  6. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

care to elaborate why? :dizzy:

If it where a 6.0 I would say no.

7. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

I can get you basically the same truck (different color) with LOWER mileage for the same price if interested.......under 135k.

8. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

ya the 7.3 is a better engine then the 6.0 by a long run. I have too many horror stories on those 6.0's. Does the truck by any chance have any sight of a 3 point hitch or gooseneck hitch in the bed by any chance?

9. chs1993

chs1993 Senior Member

no it has a line x bed liner. y?

10. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

jst wondering to see if the truck has puled something like that before. some people when they pull a trailer dont know how to pull something right and then they abuse the vehicle.

11. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

wether or not it pulled a gooseneck doesnt tell you much

12. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

In my opinion there is absolutely nothing wrong with this truck. And don't let people tell you otherwise unless you know there is something wrong with the vehicle.

The 7.3 is one of the most reliable engines that has been made, there are a number of cases where the 7.3(in stock form) has run 200,000 plus miles. There are even some 7.3s that have hit the 500,000 mark and a few rumored at the million mile mark.

So that mileage would not scare me a one bit for the motor, but the rest of the truck will be subject to normal maintenance items.

For the rest of the truck the 4r100 trans have been know to be a weak point, some will go on a stock truck with 75000 and some will hold out for 150,000 miles on a modified truck, so there is now telling when the trans will go out. Also the trans coolers that they put in the 7.3 were somewhat small, and it's easy to overheat the trans especially when plowing, I have done this myself, the stock in Dash gauge is absolutely useless on these truck and by the time it shows hot you have overheated your trans, the stock gauge actually works on a timer and is very inaccurate. A simple fix for this is to up grade to the 6.0 trans cooler which is much bigger and more than doubles the cooling capacity, it will bolt right in place, but uses 1/2 in trans cooler lines compared to the stock 3/8 lines, some 1/2 in hose and the right fittings is all you need to do the swap, I have a cooler sitting in the garage right now just haven't had time to do the install.

If you want I can get you and Oasis report, which is a complete vehicle history and maintenance of the vehicle, all I need is the VIN number, I would probably take a just a few days.

It doesn't sound like you would be interested in this, but if you plan on heavily modding the truck, I would suggest a 99-01 truck, these came with true Forged connecting rods while the later models up to 03 came with "powered metal rods" a weaker way of making connecting rods, the true Forged one will typically hold up to around 500 rear wheel horsepower. Just a thought.

And yes take a peak at the oil pan, the reason why that was stated is because these oil pans are prone to rusting out and leaking, because of the pan design the usual way to replace to the pan is having to pull the motor, but it can be done in place it's just a little more tricky, but a dealer will typically pull the motor. If this happened before 100,000 miles it was usually warrantied. I'll be repainting mine with a rust protector fair

13. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

do the right thing
    1. get an oasis report so know what the history is
    2. check the oil pan common for rusting out
    3. check the cooling system another over looked item on PSD's and all diesels for that matter
    4. check the trans how she shifts and what the fluid condition is .
    5. look for oil leaks now there are common oil leak for 7.3s either the turbo o-rings at the pedestal or at the hp oil pump bought are easy fixes but common repairs
    6.i would see what the gvrw front springs are if plan on plowing
    if the dealership won't get you oasis report pm me
    there asking a bit high for the truck prob wholesale it would go for about 8k

14. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

i wouldnt consider the tranny a weak point, my 02 has 282000 on the ORIGINAL tranny not a lot of highway miles always pulling heavy trailers been plowing for the last 3 seasons

15. Doakster

Doakster Senior Member
    from Maine

Like I said they can go early or last a long while on a stock truck, but start putting a little more power to them and you'll soon be asking for a new trans.

16. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I wouldn't pay that much for that truck. I'd probably pay around 9 or so for that. If you do buy it though, just remember that your going to be plowing with it, and stuff will break. That's just how used vehicles are.

17. chs1993

chs1993 Senior Member

yeah i think im going to stay away from it and just keep my eye out i dont want a brand new truck due to the fact that im moving back to alaska again and the weather takes a beating on trucks up there. I do know im tired of my 5.4l

18. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

That's probably a good choice. Keep looking, there are some great deals out there. Wish I had enough cash to buy another truck.

19. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

what the hell I must be the only one who likes my 5.4 lol

20. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

nothing but headaches dont do it :nono::nono::nono:way better deals out there keep looking :drinkup: