1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

02 F250 CCSB 4400lbs Front?

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Ridge, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Ridge

Ridge Junior Member
    from N-Wis

I am going to buy a new plow, I bought this truck used, looks good and has never had a plow on it. The previous owner pulled a 2 horse trailer a few times a year and the truck has 132K miles and a 5.4. I already replaced Exh. manifolds and the other owner replaced the ball joints, tie rods, outter u-joints but now I have a axle seal leaking and have to tear the entire thing apart to replace it, after I am done I want to get a plow installed and I wanted a new 8.5 Super V2 from Meyer, their site says that plow will work with the 4400 front but it weighs 950 lbs, I would use this mostly at home and a few passes at work to get the Endloader, would these really be ok for that weight?
    thanks

2. drichardson

drichardson Junior Member

F250

I just purchased an 02' F250 crew cab with 4800 fgawr and it has the same engine 5.4l, just got off the phone with a Western dealer and was told the MVP 8'6 was right for my truck. So you might want to check out Westerns site.

3. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

You should be ok, she'll ride a little low with the springs getting a little tired, but it doesn't sound like you'll be doing that much transporting. We run a Blizzard 810 on a 5.4 F250 with 4400 front springs, but we added airbags. That truck does a lot of driveways, so it spends considerable time on the road and it handles so much better with the air bags. Thumbs Up

4. Ridge

Ridge Junior Member
    from N-Wis

I will only be driving approx 10 miles to plow work and my home so hopefully the front end and the Transmission (w/132k miles) can take it. I will be the only driver of it and I am easy on everything. The dealer nearest me (16 miles) sells Western, Boss, Snow dogg, Meyers, Hiniker, and some cheap looking plow so I have looked at all the others but it came down to price and warranty, Snow Dogg was cheaper but the Meyers has a full 5 yr warranty on the Super V2 model. I am still deciding so nothing is set in stone yet. I am now pondering the front end weight issue of the Super v.

5. DodgerFan

DodgerFan Senior Member

It will work but that is alot of weight. I would also look at the Werstern's, I know that they only have a 2 yr warranty as aposed to the 5 yr.

6. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Find a good spring shop and tell them you want 6k X code springs. You plan on keeping the truck so you might as well, right?

7. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Airbags are cheaper and she still rides good unloaded. Thumbs Up

OP: I'd get the plow you want, and if you don't like the way the truck carries the weight, add some airbags, timbrens, or springs. The axle will handle 6k, so you're good there, it's just the suspension. I wouldn't worry about the trans, they fail from abuse, not use.

8. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Actually, I like the way my truck rode with the 6k springs more than the 4400s.

The other thing to take into consideration is how fatigued your current springs are. It may be hard to notice, but I couldn't believe how much my front end shot up with 6ks. The old springs only had 70k miles on them.

9. Ridge

Ridge Junior Member
    from N-Wis

I have been wondering how "worn" these springs could be? The PU sits level, rides great for a SD but that could mean they are weak. I have been checking the Plow Manufactures websites and almost all that are 8.5' are 870lbs and up, I seen some saying they are in the 700's but that is without the mount which is still weight and then there is the snow which will pack on the plow when moving heavy wet snow then a plow I am thinking of (954 Lbs) will be 1000+, Seeing a Ford dealer is going to do the install I am going to get estimates on Springs and Air bags and go with the cheapest.

10. Shop's Lawn

Shop's Lawn Senior Member

I have 4 f250-f350 trucks and put new springs or leveling kit on each one otherwise the front end sat so low with the plow on that the plow mount wouldnt clear curbs or not by much. two of my trucks do have the uni mount bracket so they sit alittle lower then the new mounts.