1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

02 f250 broken power steering pump bolts resulting in no steering

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by mxracer32t, Dec 14, 2010.

1. mxracer32t

mxracer32t Junior Member

bolts appreared to be sheared - pump at angle to frame - steering wheel turns 6 revs to left ten 12 to right. waiting to here from repair shop after having it towed. asked if i hit anything. no just rought rr tracks and mounting western ultramount.

any users have simular problem and could comment on price of repairs.

thanks,
    Jeff

2. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

So you sheared off the bolts holding the steering box to the frame? Do you off-road this truck in the summer or run large tires?

3. mxracer32t

mxracer32t Junior Member

truck is used for towing enclosed trailer and friends and family residential plowing. repair shop keeps asking what i hit. hardest hit front end takes besides pot holes is driving into western ultramount plow

4. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

I have a 99 f 250 super duty and it has plowed is whole life and i also run over size tires and my steering box bolts havent sheared off. That make no sense to me. Did you have the wheels turned and then hit something or did you have the wheels stuck and crank on the steering wheel? I have replaced 2 steering boxes due to over sized tires and my bolts were solid.

5. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

Has someone taken this steering box off before and put the wrong bolts back in? It should have grade 8 bolts holding it on the frame.

6. mxracer32t

mxracer32t Junior Member

no extreme use on truck other than plowing. two broken bolts were rusted and third bolt was fresh break. repair shop replaced gear box and both hoses. rusted hose ends and gear box had crack in it.
    expensive repair and frustrating not knowing root cause as this does seem to be a common problem. checked other plow sites and ford owners forums. still lucky this happened in parking lot and not on expressway