1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

02 f-350 noisy rear

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by andrewlawnrangr, Jan 23, 2008.

1. andrewlawnrangr

andrewlawnrangr Senior Member

there is some sound out of the rear in my truck. i just put on 285 75 16 but thats only 20 off from stock which is 265 75 16. i change the rear fluid about 400 miles ago and put in 48-54 oz of synthetic fluid in.. also when i turn slow it kinda feels like its locking up and "skipping". the sound could be compaired to a dragging tail pipe but not as loud. it is not consistant in noise sometimes quiet and sometimes not
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

How do the dust covers look? Might be rubbing .
  3. andrewlawnrangr

check in the am

thanks GV
  4. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

I think you under filled your diff. 48-54oz isn't even 2 quarts.:eek: I don't know the exact quantity for a Sterling 10.5 (assuming you have a SRW) diff off the top of my head but that seems about 1/2 of what it should be. Did you fill it until it was at the level of the fill plug? IIRC if you have a limited slip diff you should be using a friction modifier too. The grabbing you describe it typical for the LSD grabbing.
    I just checked; The Sterling rear diff uses 4Q of 75-140 Synthetic gear lube.
    Considering on how many miles you have driven I would say it is probably a good idea now to at least check the wheel bearings if not all of the bearings to see if they got damaged due to lack of lubricant.
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  5. mnormington

mnormington Senior Member

I too have a noisy rear.
  6. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

Have you tried Beano or changing your diet?:D
    South side Irish!
  7. mike psd

mike psd PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

i would also agree of not putting the additive in the rear ford dealer have for about 5 too 8 buxs . like Ggg6 said remember too use that 75w140 dealer is about 19buxs a quart i went too mobil one thats about 16 a quart the 10.5's about just shy of 3 quarts if i remember correctly
  8. andrewlawnrangr

i used 3 bottles of lucas synethic in im goin to add more in the am and drive any more ideas.