1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'02 F-250 radiator leak

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by dieselboy01, Mar 28, 2015.

1. dieselboy01

dieselboy01 Senior Member

My '02 F-250 has a small leak at the bottom where the tranny line threads in. Does anyone know if I can remove the tranny line and replace the metal plug the tranny line threads into?

[​IMG]

2. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

coolant or trans fluid?

3. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

No, not without taking radiator apart. You would need to remove the bottom plastic cover to remove/install the new fitting for the tranny line.

4. dieselboy01

It's leaking coolant.

So that plug doesn't just screw into the radiator? Do I need to pull the radiator to fix this, or does the radiator need to go to a radiator shop to get fixed?

Or would it be more cost effective to just replace the radiator?

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Run some coolant leak stop first. You'll be opening up a can of worms on this.

6. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

probably be cheaper to just replace the radiator.
    a new one is only around $100 from rock auto

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  7. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

New radiator. Usually shops don't/can't fix plastic tank radiators. Usually.

8. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

New radiator.

9. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

It would be worth a try to remove the fitting wile still in the truck then if it breaks everything to pieces remove and replace .

10. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

How are you going to remove it? It is mounted from the inside out. They do not screw into the plastic.

11. dieselboy01

Thank you for all the help and advice! I'll go the replacement route when I get some extra time and money.

12. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I can't tell you how many of our E450s leak from those ports. If I were to guess, they aren't leaking when its warmed up and running (ours dont). I use less than a pint of coolant on the units that leak per oil change (5000 miles). You may try some sealer, but the actual amout your loosing is not going to cost as much as a few bottles of sealant