1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

02 Duramax hard start ?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by duramax-king, Apr 23, 2011.

1. duramax-king

duramax-king Senior Member

Hey guys i just bought a 02 duramax, was an amazing deal but the problem is the truck has a hard time starting.... ive been told injectors or a weak cp3 but the thing is the truck runs like it should after it is started, has lots of power etc. Im thinking maybe the glow plugs are shot ? Any input would be apprecated.
  2. carkey351

carkey351 Senior Member

most likely glow plugs. If its not warmed it will have a hard time starting. Could be other things but glow plugs are a wear item
  3. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Bad glow plugs cause an engine light. I bet your getting air in the system somewhere. Before you start it one morning try priming the pump in the filter head and see of it starts good. It could even be a bad bleeder screw as a lot of people over tighten them. My 07 doesn't even have glow plugs and it starts right up and generally injectors and CP3 problems don't effect startup. I'm no expert but giving you the cheap things to try first. Chech to make sure you wif sensor insnt leaking also and your filter has a good seal. Filter heads have also been known to leak.
  4. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Most likely it's your glow plugs and/or your glow plug relay.Simply put it on a code reader and stop guessing.
  5. tuney443

Whether you have a LBZ or the LMM,you most definitely have glow plugs AND a grid heater.
  6. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

HAHA you have no idea...

Dave most definitely does not have glow plugs on his LMM...

I agree I dont think its a glow plug issue myself... The glow plugs practically dont even turn on in the warmer weather... Sounds like an issue JD Dave described... Thats where I'd be focusing anyways...
  7. tuney443

''HaHA'' you have no idea''?
    How old are you? Never mind,it's irrelevant.

Unless ''Dave'' took his GP's out,he most certainly does have them.

Tho OP is in Canada and um,well it's most likely still pretty cold there,here in NY it went to 30* this past week at night so whether the GP's are manually activated or not,they will energize to aid in starting along with the intake grid heater in that temp. range and colder. That is fact.I don't know what your running,but you obviously have a lot to learn about a Dmax.

Getting back to the OP's problem,until he runs a code reader/scanner on his ride,it's only educated conjecture--my first thought is still the GP's--possibly a WIF housing crack and/or leaky gasket.

Lastly,I think Dave can and will respond on his own---I didn't know there was a brown noser's club here on PS.

For your edification,here is some proof that GP's are in the LMM:

FUEL TANKS (High Capacity)
    TURBOS/Boost Cntrl/Up-down Pipes

Precision Industries Billet Converter (ML)

Member price: $1,089.99

DMAX - (KRYPTONITE) Series Tie Rods

Member price: $349.99

AirDog II Air/Fuel Separation System DF-165

Member price: $632.00

Home :: GLOW PLUGS

Displaying 1 to 3 (of 3 products)
    Product Image Item Name- Price

LB7 Glow Plug
    LB7 Glow Plug Works with 2001 to 2004 LB7 Chevy/GMC 2500/3500 Glow plugs are one of the most important components when trying to start a diesel...

LLY Glow Plug
    LLY GLow Plug Fits 2004.5 to 2006 LLY Chevy/GMC 2500/3500 Glow plugs are one of the most important components when trying to start a diesel in cold...

LBZ-LMM Glow Plug
    LBZ-LMM GLOW PLUG Fits 2006-2010 LBZ-LMM Chevy/GMC 2500/3500 Glow plugs are one of the most important components when trying to start a diesel in...

8. Triple L

from Canada

Wow you really think your king $h^t eh...

Im pretty sure I know how the duramax's work as I own both an LLY and a LMM...

Dave can speak for himself but I knew he was out for a while and most likely wouldnt respond so I figured I'd awnser your question for him.... WTF are you talking about brown nosing!

Dave's truck also dosent have A/C or a cab heater... O ya, but we're from Canada... Maby I should look up the specs for you to prove that all trucks come with cab heaters LOL

Either way this stupid agrument is not helping solve buddys problem... Allz I know is on warmish days, +10degree's or so, my glowplugs may run for 1/2 a second at best! I sure dont think they make much heat in that time.... All my other diesels start with out using the glow plugs so thats why I also dont think its is a glow plug issue myself...

But since your the duramax god, wanna tell me what type of converter this is... You should know right away just by looking at the colour of it since you know soo much...

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I don't have any of that stuff on my pull truck and I was amazed at how well it started in the winter when I had to move it. I don't drive it in the winter but move it around to work on it. Triple L does know a lot about it as we are friends. Your right about reading the codes though but from what the OP said I assumed he wasn't getting any codes which leads me to what I said but to be honest I'm just guessing. I will say my 02 started just fine with out all the glow plugs working also. I have a tractor right now with the same problem as the OP and I just changed all the fuel lines and I'm letting it sit until Mon to see if the problem is solved.
  10. tuney443

No,I really don't think I'm King $h^t--never implied or even came close to that.I do however know that you're quite mistaken about a few things on the Dmax,the first of which you conveniently didn't mention here is that all Dmax's have GP's.YOU said Dave's does not and ''Haha you have no idea'',just to remind you who started this confrontation.I showed you proof and can show you more if you'd like ,but where is your argument that the LMM has no GP's????

As for running 1/2 a second,wrong again.What you are referring to is only the visual GP icon lit up on your dash--your GP's are actually still energized usually for app. 2 minutes depending on air temperature.Check your voltmeter sometime during a cold start-up and you'll see what I'm talking about.The GP's and the grid heater use a lot of juice,when both turn off,watch your needle jump to the right.As for not making much heat in a short time span?Completely wrong.They generate lots of quick heat--how do you think your cold engine starts and runs so well?Try touching one sometime when energized--just send me a signed disclaimer clause first.

As for your purple torque converter quiz,I have no idea what it's for,probably some high performance application which I'll never use so it really means nothing to me.Having 3 Dmax's,a LB7,LLY, and my present LBZ logging hundreds of thousands of milesI've never seen my TC and hopefully never will.
  11. duramax-king

duramax-king Senior Member

Ended up pulling my glow plugs today and it turns out 3 of the 4 on the pass side are bad, so im going to go ahead and replace all of them, hopefully that will fix the problem.

Thanks for trying to help Dave, Triple L, And Tuney
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  12. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

I didn't thoroughly read all of the above posts, but a lot of hard starts are caused by weak batts or one bad and not the other. One bad cell in one batt when the rest are good will have very poor cold start conditions. While GP's are easy and cheap, I'd also have the batteries tested. You may be surprised. It may even sound like its cranking fine when indeed it isn't.

IMO the weather is much too fair for GP's to have anything to do with it. As stated above, a Dmax will start in the dead of winter without them.

My next check would be for air in the system as also mentioned above. A cracked filter housing will have similar symptoms. Bad injectors or cups will sometimes have hard start conditions, but there will be other symptoms as well. Heavy smoke, fuel in oil causing near hydrolock, etc..

Hope this helps
  13. Triple L

from Canada

Make sure you post the end result and how it turned out!
    Good luck :drinkup:
  14. tuney443

So I guess what you're saying is that you removed your 2 cold starting aids or just deactivated them.Is that correct? If that's the case,all your buddy had to say then was that your LMM was customized or something like that and we could have avoided some hard feelings now.
  15. Triple L

from Canada

When Dave says he dosent have glow plugs on his LMM, after giving all that advice, do you really think he thought duramax's don't have glow plugs??? Are u serious? And after I said HIS lmm dosent have glow plugs you go crazy asking how old I am and telling me I have a lot to learn and I'm brown nosing... If you know everything then you have A LOT to learn!

Maby you should assume sometimes a few people know what they are talking about and that could have avoided hard feelings...

I'm not saying your wrong or I'm right, but it will be interesting to see the outcome of this issue and if glowplugs will solve the problem...
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  16. tuney443

Maybe you just ought to let Dave respond,my post is directed to him.In the meantime why don't you take a valium or three.You really need to chill--talk about taking things out of context,WOW!Are you related to my X wife? Her maiden name was Troubled.
  17. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

Wow this thread was a waste. I'd have to agree with JD, most likely cause would be a leak on the fuel filter head. Check the WIF sensor, the primmer pump, and the bleeder screw.

Glow plugs will set a code. Also Tunney the plugs only heat for a few seconds, they are PWM so they do heat instantly. The voltage drop you are referring to is only from the grid heater and is really only there for emissions reasons.
  18. ATouchofGrass

ATouchofGrass Member
    from CT

Mike L converter, (another worthless comment.)
  19. tuney443

Yes,GP's will set a code,the OP never said originally if there was a code but he did say 3 of 4 he pulled were bad on one bank.They will stay on much longer than a ''few'' seconds if it's very cold,up to app.2 minutes in severe cold.After the dash light goes off,they are still on for awhile--there is no GP activated light.Granted,the grid heater uses more juice than the GP's,but there still would be a draw down from the GP's if there wasn't a grid heater.For the record however,I did say I thought there is the possibility of a cracked WIF bowl or a bad seal.I'm sure the OP doesn't consider his thread a waste--don't know why you would say that.

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

You can get brass bleeder screws instead of the plastic ones or just be nice to the plastic one. I'd replace the fuel filter just because you don't know when it was done last and the filter will come with a new o-ring for the wif sensor and you will have your hands on the bleeder and can inspect it. It ISN'T the glow plugs it would have thrown a code.