1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

02 Dodge 3500 cummins... buy?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by plowmaster07, Feb 3, 2009.

1. plowmaster07

plowmaster07 Senior Member

Hey guys, I'm looking to purchase a dump truck soon. So I'm wondering if anyone has any personal experience with a 2002 dodge 3500 dump truck with the 5.9 diesel. It has a 9 ft. fisher and looks to be in pretty good shape with 22,000 miles. Any Thoughts?
    Aaron

2. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

only 22K miles- that's not even broken in yet!

3. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

how much they asking for it??

4. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

is it a stick or an auto, if its a stick then you get the h.o cummins with 245 hp and 505 lbs of torque, autos are 235 hp and 460 tq i think? i had a 01 2500 cummins 6 sp with a 8ft fisher it was a great truck, just keep an eye on the fuel pressure.

5. RedneckPlowGuy

RedneckPlowGuy Senior Member

not true....they still made a 5 spd SO manual truck for 01 and 02

6. plowmaster07

its an auto, its a buddy of mine whos selling it. for 16K but i think i can beat him up on it. how do you monitor your fuel pressure? aftermarket gauge?

7. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

after market gage on the lift pump line- the injector pumps are VERY susceptible to low fuel pressure damage and VERY expensive to replace/rebuild. The lift pump is also very prone to quitting which you will not really notice in driving, but it causes the injector pump to draw the fuel from the tank, which it is not designed to do and causes undue wear.

You can change the factory lift pump to the factory update or just put in a FASS system when the time comes. Probably a better (slightly more expensive) option.
    Geno's Garage has good gage setups for that.

8. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Yes you need an aftermarket gauge. What happens is normally this... the fuel pump will die, then the high pressure vp44 will be starved of fuel, which it uses to cool itself, and it will then die. Costs you a couple grand to fix.

If you have the fuel pressure gauge, you can nip it in the butt when you see the pressure is too low.

9. plowmaster07

thank you guys for the help one other thing, how often do you need to change the fuel filter?

10. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

i change my fuel filter every oil change so, around 4000 miles, you can also buy a low fuel pressure light that comes on when you drop below 2 psi. i had one on my old truck its real easy to put on and cost about $80 bucks, well worth it because it saved my injection pump twice.:gunsfiring:

11. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

The owners manual probably says every 10,000 miles. It takes about 5 minutes and costs about $10.

12. plowmaster07

cheap enough. thanks again.will keep you posted if i get this truck.