1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

02 cummins

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by OhioPlower, Mar 28, 2007.

1. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

How would a 2002 cummins 3/4 ton quad cab long bed hold up pushing snow? Also what plow would you guys recommend for that truck? Thanks
  2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

plow truck

i would think it would be ok but keep an eye on the transmission,put a cooler on it,and flush it out! they have a problem just put a 7 1/2 on it should be ok!
  3. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

i use the same truck but a short bed with a 7.5 meyer i wish i got an 8 instead the truck pushes snow like nothing can stop it

the trans is the down side of the truck got the truck back in november and i am on my second transmission already gotta love the warranty :nod:

it just turned 99k today
  4. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

Im not too worried about the transmission cause when it goes I would get a built aftermaket one put on it. I would be more concerned about the front end on it. Thanks for the quick replies.
  5. UglyTruck

UglyTruck Senior Member

In my opinion, you have nothing to worry about as far as the front end goes...its gonna need ball joints and other front end repairs every other year or so but when you hang that much extra weight out front that is to be expected....I have 85k on my 2001 3/4 ton and this past year it has been like a money pit...all were expected repairs but they were not all expected one right after the other...:angry: ...don't get me wrong, I love my truck.
    but there are times that I am angry with it.

I called around to several tranny shops around here b4 I bought mine and they all told me the same thing...dont be scared of the Dodge tranny. Yes, they are weak, but so are the Fords and the Chevys...they all have their quirks.....

I was told to have the dodge serviced anually (every single year without fail!!!) and to have not only the fluid and the filter changed but to specifically request that the bands be adjusted. it costs extra (about $40, I had it done 2 weeks ago) but it is worth it.

I agree, it is worth it...It now feels like a whole new tranny...all I can say is WOW!!

the truck will be great for what you wanna do but if you can find a newer body style with a cummins then it will have several advantages IMO. it will be quieter, it will get better fuel mileage, and it will be easier to "tweak" for additional power and fuel mileage.

If however, you have plans to go for the max HP & Torque you can get out of it then go with a 2nd gen truck (like the 02). I have been told that you can get more HP out of the 2nd gen trucks than the 3rd gen trucks...besides, I think that the 2nd gen trucks look better, but then again, I am biased...

to address the second part of the question, that the truck is a longbed....I fall asleep at night wishing that mine was a long bed instead of 6-1/2 feet....

and then the question is what plow to get....anyone who has followed my posts will know what I wont recomend but I have a 9' plow and wish that it was wider (there are other things that I also wish, but wider is all that matters for this post)....I may get (make) wings for it next year. the truck has no problem pushing the snow...its a diesel...tons of low end...heavy snow is a cake walk.

I say go for it..:salute:
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2007
  6. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

Do you guys think a boss 9'2'' V plow would be too much for the front end on that truck?
  7. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

A Boss V would be fine for that truck IMO. Dodge/Cummins will push snow like nobodys business! :nod: I had 2 Dodges and loved them both. I wouldnt be worried at all with a Dodge, all the makes have their problems.
  8. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

on boss 's webiste the largest plow they offer for that truck is a 8' 6" super duty straight blade. is there a way you can hang a bigger plow than what they recomend or will the dealer not install it because of liability issues.
  9. ramitall

ramitall Junior Member

we have run a blizzard 810 on ours for 6 years with no problems.we install timbers last yaer to help