1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

02 Chevy Trans issue

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by On a Call, Feb 21, 2015.

1. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Took it out salting the other day. When about half way through the route 3 hours or so the trans does not shift out of first. Parked it for half an hour and it ran fine again for the rest of the night.

Last night same thing ??

2500 Silverado

2. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

I did add a quart of Lucas into it after pulling a quart out.

Fluid smelled okay looked maybe a little brown.

3. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Need tons more info to even start to help

Motor in truck or Model of Transmission would be a big help too...

4. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Okay when I get back from the shop I will get you that info.
    Would a vin number work ?

5. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

A bit more info.....

About three weeks ago the fan clutch stopped working. Truck over heated but not maxed....or so I was told

6. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Plug it in and get the Codes, I bet it overheated. This will stop it from shifting.

7. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Going to check that on Monday

8. Ieatsno

Ieatsno Junior Member

Foaming will cause a non shift also. By letting it sit the foam dissipated and was fine until it foamed again. Maybe the lucas is causing foaming? what spec fluid are you using?

9. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

I would get that crap out of there ASAP. Snake oil never helps, and usually causes problems. You're going to need a full transmission fluid FLUSH. Not just a drain and refill, because that only changes out about half the fluid.

10. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Well Monday came and went...we got snow :) and then more :)

So...this GMC has the larger trans. It is lightly burnt IMO.

It runs fine when cold even with a load of salt, spreader, and dump box. Shifts well and does good.

When the temperature reaches about 100 - 115 it starts to not shift into 3rd or Overdrive.

However I can drive it all day with it shifting in first and second. I drove all over town in first and second. Gets up to about 40 without too high of RPM's.

I can park it for 15 minutes engine off or on and the trans will be cool and it will shift again normal. Then temp raises a bit....and no more third or overdrive.

Any thoughts ?

11. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Hello, any thoughts ?

12. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Time for a rebuild!

13. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

As stated before... We are not mind readers here. If you would be so kind as to give the model of transmission, it will help get you started to an answer. Stating the year and make of your truck is not enough info for me to waste my time with telling you where to start.

If you do not know what trans you have, at least do you know what motor you have???

If you know what the size motor you have, I can figure it out from there.

14. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

I was told that they used one of two transmissions and that this is the larger one. But I will call and let you know.

15. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Okay.... adding more info and another truck.

I have a 03 Dodge 3/4 ton long bed four door diesel. The trans 2.5 years ago started a slip in and out of 1st and 2nd until the speed has built up. And after plowing a lot i have to almost red line it to cause it to shift...after that is is fine. I have put 80,000 miles on it like this.

here are the trans.

GMC ..... 4L80

Dodge.... 48RE with 370,000 miles

16. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

On the Dodge - Have you had the Bands adjusted? With putting that many miles on it not shifting correctly it may have to come out and be rebuilt again. Could also be the Governor Transducer or Transmission Governor Pressure Solenoid. Kick down linkage? Adjustment.

17. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

I had heard about adjustment of the band.

Thank you

18. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

Any other thoughts

19. Ieatsno

Ieatsno Junior Member

I would start with a complete flush, new filter, don't add any snake oil and see how it goes, if your still having issues i would get it to a shop and have the problem fixed or the transmission replaced with a reman with a warranty and put an end to it.