1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

02 Chevy tranny leak

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by turbo5560, Oct 27, 2007.

1. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

so i was changing the filter on the transmission of my 2002 chevy 3/4 ton and it started to leak. I got a new gasket, that leaked. Then tried using the reusable one that was originally on the truck and that leaked, so i got another new one and was told to but some grease on the gasket so i tried that and still leaking. I didn't physically drop the pan on the ground and everything looks fine that way... any ideas? Is sillicone something to try?
    Thanks!

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

rubber gaskets are best. and finger tight on bolts then a little snug with socket or wrench just till you start to see it sqush a bit.

and the key to no leaks is dry dry dry. pan rail were gasket sits dry and tranny case were gasket sits dry. then dubble check its all dry. use a clean rag with some brake/parts cleaner on it to wipe it all down dry.

try this and see what you get.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The rubber gaskets are good and usually work fine. But the factory reusable gasket is the best. And like K30 mentioned, make sure the mating surfaces are clean and dry. And never use silicone on a trans pan gasket! Check the pan to see if it's warped between the bolt holes, if it's good, install the pan with a good rubber or factory reusable gasket and torque the pan bolts to 15 ft lbs and no more. That should take care of your pan leak.

4. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

thank guys... i think i got it to stop leaking...

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

What did you do to fix it?

6. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

well after i put the third gasket on it i sprayed everything down with brake parts cleaner so i would know if it was leaking again or if it was just from the last time. Then i took it for a ride and put it back up on the lift and there was tranny fluid on the cross member again. So i gave up for the day and then i wrote on here asking.... but sense that time it hasn't leaked, but i also haven't done anything to it. I was told to put some ball bearing grease on the gasket... so i did do that on the 3rd try. But i can't say that is what helped or not.
    By the way... i was about to resort to sylicone... why is that a bad thing on the tranny? I'm an idiot....

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Some guys will use grease on a cork/composition style gasket to help hold it in place during assembly, but a rubber gasket should always be installed dry.
    Silicone is a big no no on a trans pan for a couple of reasons... you usually can't get the pan back off with out destroying it due to how well silicone also works as a "glue". And, you can damage the sealing surface trying to remove the silicone, which will guarantee a leak for sure afterwards. Plus, if you over do it with the silicone, you stand a good chance of it squeezing out inside the trans and plugging or restricting the filter..not a good thing from any standpoint.

8. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

ya... that makes a lot of sense. Still can't figure out why such an "easy" thing to do took so many trys. thank for the help!