1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

02 Chevy- overheating- fan clutch

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by turbo5560, Dec 16, 2007.

1. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

so for the first time i took the plow for a little drive.... longer then the normal route. I got up to about 60-65 and the truck warmed up to about 235 degrees. The plow was in the v-position with the plow all the way up.
    I have seen on here that the fan clutch probably needs to be replaced. Is that the case? If so, I was told about getting the heavier duty one. But i looked on Napa website and they only had one kind.
    It's for an 02 chevy 3/4 HD, with the 6.0 liter gas. Any help would be appreciated. Truck has just over 70,000 miles and so it might just be wearing out. But i want something better then stock.
    Also, i was just looking on autozone and advance auto websites and there is heavy duty, premium extreme, and so on.... what one is the best?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2007
  2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Search for "fan clutch" here in the Chevy forum. All the info you need is here..including the p/n for the Plow prep fan clutch..

3. 'Rude Dog

'Rude Dog Member

fan clutch...

Running 60 to 65 mph is probably running too fast with a large plow on the front of your truck ( I believe, if I'm not mistaken , that Meyer recomends 55 mph as top speed with the plow mounted- I also had issues with a '93 k2500, and also thought it was the fan clutch- I worked around this by : keeping my speed to a max of 60 mph, and making SURE that I kept the truck OUT of overdrive!!! found that my temp droped back down to 185 degrees, the downside is you run a little higher rpms, but that keeps the fan clutch engaged, which helps with air flow, offsetting what is being blocked by the plow, plus the fact , that , just by its' nature, overdrive is what it is: reduction of engine rpm ( typ 1:1 , or lower ) !!! 'Rude Dog

4. salsterboy

salsterboy Junior Member

I have an 02 3500 dump and a 05 2500 HD. I replaced both fan clutches because i was having problems every year when the plow was on. I went to auto zone and got the extreme duty fan clutch for 59.00, the other one was listed at 69.00. I havent had a problem since, you can actually here it kick on now all the time when the truck would normally start to heat up.