1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

02 chevy auto headlights

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by bossplowguy, Sep 26, 2008.

1. bossplowguy

bossplowguy Senior Member

Is there any way to disconnect the auto headlights and just turn them on manually? We have a 05 or so chevy at work and you just turn the switch the other way. Thanks

2. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Did you know of the override feature? If you press and depress the dome override 3 times in a row they will shut off. Started in 2000 Silverado's.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You can permanently disable them as well if you know how and are handy with a set of wire crimpers.

4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

You could also push in the e-brake lever a VERY little bit, that overrides the auto lights i believe...you'll just have to deal with the e-brake light on the dash :)

5. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

And it will ding while in gear ;)

6. M&M

M&M Senior Member

Why do you want to shut them off? Are there any benefits? Just curious.

got-h2o, how do you put the lights back to "original?"

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes, it allows the operator the choice as to whether he wants the light on or not via the head light switch....and if he's smart enough to be behind the wheel he should be smart enough to know when the lights should be on. Don't need the general telling him that. ;)

Either turn the key off and then back on (light disable only works if you use it at every key on/off cycle) or press the dome override button three times in secession again.

8. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

You have to over ride it everytime. So, when you shut the key off, it disables the over ride.

9. M&M

M&M Senior Member

Got it. Good to know I guess. Still finding the right situation when I'll use/need the override.

10. bossplowguy

bossplowguy Senior Member

Thanks....I didn't know about the over ride. B&B, you mention a permanent disable.....how do you do that? btw the one reason I hate the auto lights is when I start my truck to let it warm up in the winter the lights will be shining in my neighbor's house at the wee hours of the morning. The other reason is I hate them just as much as the daytime running lights, if I think they should be on I will turn them on. I think GM just wants to sell more lights.

11. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

lol, didn't know that about the newer trucks! That would be WAY more annoying than it would be worth!

12. vegaman04

vegaman04 Senior Member

My 99 doesn't have the override feature. You can pull the DRL fuse and they should shut off. Now if you really wanna get fancy, just splice between the leaving side of the drl fuse and put a switch in, that way you would have a continuous override switch with pressing the override button every time.

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

And is the same reason most guys dont like the auto on lights.

To permanently disable them you bypass the ambient light sensor thats located in the top center of instrument panel. You need to get into the body control module wiring and bypass it there. If your comfortable with wiring it's not a hard job. The BCM is mounted behind the driver side lower dash panel just under the steering column. If you want detailed instructions on how to do it shoot me an email or PM...

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Are you refering to the actual separate DRL's...or the "auto on" head/tail lights?

15. vegaman04

vegaman04 Senior Member

Im not sure, on my 96 it shut off the headlights.

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sure on a '96 it will since the DRL's are integrated with the headlights.

But your post said '99..which was why I asked to clarify.