1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

02 Chevy 3/4 ton 6.0 L milage when plowing

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by turbo5560, Feb 13, 2008.

1. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

what do you get when plowing? I usually run in 4 95% of the time. I just checked it today and i got 5 mpg.... sounds a little low to me, anyone get something different then that?

2. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

My 2007 Classic gets 9.1 average with plowing and regular driving. GM should be ashamed of themselves. My quad axle Kenworth hauling 73000 GVW can get 7 MPG.

3. lehmand1

lehmand1 Member

It all depends on the type of plowing you do and your drive times. If you spend a lot of time driving between jobs and not a lot of time on the jobsite you will get better milage than if your accounts are huge and closer together where you spend several hours at each site.

BTW my 03 with a 5.3 gets between 9-10mpg

4. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

9-10 while plowing? i get 9-10 going down the highway

5. lehmand1

lehmand1 Member

do you have really low gears like 4.10's or something???

You do have the 6.0 but 9-10 is still bad.

What do you get in the summer without the plow or being loaded down???

I thought dodges hemi was the worst gasser for mileage but my wifes 4x4 hemi gets 13mpg.

6. millsaps118

millsaps118 Senior Member

I started this thread back in Dec. Here's the link http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=53060

7. abbert55

abbert55 Senior Member

If you have an oiled type air cleaner (like K&N) Check the MAF sensor. The oil will coat the heating elements and cause poor mileage without throwing a code. BTW I have a 96 K2500 HD W/ 4:10 & 5.7. I get 9-10 plowing and 13+ on the road.

8. PDQ Pete

PDQ Pete Senior Member

I don't know and I don't care what milage I am getting while plowing.:gunsfiring:

9. Chevyboy

Chevyboy Member

holy cow that sure dont seem right.

My buddy has a 2000 Chevy Silverado 2500 6.0L with a Boss V plow and he is ranging from 11 to 13 plowing:gunsfiring:

10. Chevyboy

Chevyboy Member

good attitude

I agree who cares just get the job done and get the $$payup

11. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

I just care when I am not plowing and I cant afford to drive across town. 10 mpg? These trucks are a joke for MPG. Now they come out with the 373 gear when you could not get one for 6-7 years. Go figure.

12. Chevyboy

Chevyboy Member

These trucks are made for working though, not luxury driving!

Like my buddy says if you cant afford gas get a bike!

13. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

A 6.0 will hardly get that just driving around town. I use to have one as a company truck, it got ~10-11 around town and ~6 plowing.

14. LHK2

LHK2 Senior Member

Lead foot!:D

15. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Brian, my old 02 with the 6.0 could get 13., and I had 4:10s That was without the plow, witht the plow I bet I could get 10 to 11

Ryan

16. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

On Monday night, I calculated it out to be 4.7 miles per gallon. The question was mileage when plowing - not while plowing, and then going on the highway, and then driving home. I filled up before I got to my site, and filled up when I was finished 11 hours later. I got 4.7 MPG while plowing with my 950 lb blizzard, and spreading 4800 lb of salt. I think I put about 30 miles on my truck in the same parking lot over 8 hours.

Nobody should be appalled, surprised, or shaming GM for 4.7 mpg. Thats what happens when you start and stop 9000+ pounds for 11 hours. Anybody who says they get more than 8 mpg or so while plowing is doing their calculation wrong.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2008
  17. SteveJ

SteveJ Senior Member

Hey Chevyboy, I got your buddy beat, My two - 6.0's get 20 around town and 18 plowing.:rolleyes: I am in a dream right now and I'm on an island with girls in bikinis and..... :D:cool: LMAO

18. abbert55

abbert55 Senior Member

Nobody should be appalled, surprised, or shaming GM for 4.7 mpg. Thats what happens when you start and stop 9000+ pounds for 11 hours. Anybody who says they get more than 8 mpg or so while plowing is doing their calculation wrong.[/QUOTE]

Yes you are calculating the usage wrong. You are looking for gallons per hour (GPH) WHEN plowing NOT MPG:salute: Remember, all you're doing is stop and start when plowing and you can't expect to get any mileage when doing that. All equipment, including trucks with snowplows are expensed in terms of unit cost per hour NOT MPG.

19. Chevyboy

Chevyboy Member

Yes you are calculating the usage wrong. You are looking for gallons per hour (GPH) WHEN plowing NOT MPG:salute: Remember, all you're doing is stop and start when plowing and you can't expect to get any mileage when doing that. All equipment, including trucks with snowplows are expensed in terms of unit cost per hour NOT MPG.[/QUOTE]

maybe if your plowing short driveways. Were talking large parking lots. Yeah its still stop and go but hold off on the LEAD foot once. It does make a difference:nod:

20. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

I am in a large hospital parking lot - and couldn't have less of a lead foot. I stay there for the whole snow event and don't leave until it's over. Plowing and salting.