1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

02 chevy 2500HD

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by kandklandscape0, Sep 29, 2007.

1. kandklandscape0

kandklandscape0 Senior Member

i believe all the 2500hd come with the 8.1.....

my ? is the allison transmission, is this a good tranny? mine has 80 k on it, anything that i should do before i put the plow on it? I am the ONLY one that will be driving this truck, we have 6 trucks in our fleet, this one I only drive.

i am going to be putting a v plow on, preferably a boss. 8'2 or 9' which will work best on this truck?

what are the known problems for the 02 chevy with approx 80 k on, of course it matters how you drive but we have 2 95 dodge rams and everyone knows to change the tranny lines! the ball valve always sticks. im asking are there any known problems that are normal that will happen around this mileage?
  2. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

most of the 2500HDs have the 6.0 gas. The allison is a real good tranny. I got 2 duramaxes with them. I would change the tranny fluid and filter before winter comes. As for which v plow to put on there it depends what you are plowing. If you are plowing lots go with the 9'2. If you are doing driveways I would get the 8'2. Thats what I think.
  3. kandklandscape0

i beleive they put the 6.0 in ALL the 2500HD starting in 06? am i right? Does anyone here have the 2500HD with the 8.1? how well does it do plowing
  4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I think the 6.0 is the most common gas engine, there are very few 8.1. We have a 3500 and 2500HD both 2003 and both with the 6.0.
  5. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

not post 06, but I had an 03 with the 8.1/ally combo
  6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Not at all true. From 01-06 only about 15% of the Hd's had the 8.1. The rest were either 6.0 or Duramax. That's why it's tough to find an 8.1 truck sometimes...it took me over a year to find the truck I wanted with an 8.1.

Without a doubt! It's one of the best out there in the light duty trucks.
    Change the spin on filter on the trans every 10,000 mi and change the trans fluid about every 20-25,000 miles and you should have no problems with it.

If the truck isn't equipped with the plow prep package then I'd also install the upgraded fan clutch that GM uses on the PP equipped trucks to prevent over heating.

Maybe a bigger alternator but try the stock one first and see how it handles the extra power draw of the plow.

Give the torsion bars a few turns to help carry the weight of the plow better.

Nothing really out of the ordinary than any other truck with the same mileage.
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2007
  7. kandklandscape0

thanks for all your help and look forward to more answers!