1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'02 Chevy 2500HD "marbles noise going in gear..."????

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mkwl, Apr 26, 2010.

1. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Hi Guys-

I'm posting this for a buddy of mine. He has an '02 Chevy 2500HD RC/LB 6.0L, 4L80E, G80, 4x4 truck. It's got 24,000 miles on it. Now, he just had the trans rebuilt about 5K miles ago, now the truck is making a noise like marbles grinding together when going forward- it's really bad when going in reverse, and it seems to subside somewhat once it shifts into 2nd gear. We were thinking the trans, but are now thinking maybe the rear-end or t-case...??? :mechanic:

It engages okay into reverse and forward, but makes funky noises like marbles rolling around inside the truck...:help:

Any thoughts...?

2. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Update- he stuck his finger in the t-case fill hole and pulled it out with a metal shard stuck in it :eek:.... so we're thinking the t-case may be having an issue...:mechanic:

3. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

What has he put that truck through... 24,000 miles and the transmission and transfer case are shot already?

4. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

He bought it used- it was a guy's plow truck for his personal driveway only- he had a plow on it for 5 seasons. It was GM dealer trade in. My guess is- he bought a real lemon!

5. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

I think you found out why it was traded in.

6. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Yeah I guess... heck of a lemon though to need a good part of the powertrain replaced in less than 25% of the truck's average life span...

7. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

I am guessing that was a lie...just like it was only driven to church on Sunday. I would say it was piss pounded plowing for 24,000 miles

8. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

we have a winner!!
    Its actually kinda impressive to do that much damage to a truck in that little milage

9. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

He did his own driveway and took the trans out in 25k miles :laughing:

I hate people that lie :nod:

10. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

Well, $4,450 later, for another new trans (last one was not properly re-built- chewed up the planetary gears, etc), and a new t-case, his truck is back on the road.

Needless to say... he's pi$$ed!

11. mossman381

mossman381 2000 Club Member

It seems like it is getting harder to get a good rebuilt trans these days. We had to put 3 TH400's in our 90 chevy 2500 before we finally got one that was rebuilt right. I think I will go to GM if I ever replace another trans.