1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

02 7.3l will not start

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by andrewlawnrangr, Nov 7, 2008.

1. andrewlawnrangr

andrewlawnrangr Senior Member

well after work i tryed to start my truck and then nothing the motor turns over but i guess its not gettin fuel. i sprayed starter fluid into the in take and it began to ran but then dyed out do any one know what the problem is?

2. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

Ck the maxi # 11 i think,30 amp fuse in the underhood fuse/junction box. Actually ck them all. But if they ck out good let me know thats a good place to start. Sometimes the fuel heater shorts and pops the fuse and that kills the fuel to the engine as well.It could also be faulty cam sensor. but start on the fuses. Write back.

3. veggin psd

veggin psd Senior Member

Yep, check the 30Amp maxi fuse in the power distribution box next to the master cylinder. If it is blown, its is likely the fuel heater. If so, unplug the heater on the back side of the fuel filter bowl. The plug is located just to the right of the fuel drain.

If the fuse is good, crawl under the truck. On the frame rail below the drivers seat is the fuel pump. Check for power on the terminal. I have seen the wire break or rub the insulation off. Either way, check fuse and make sure the pump has power.

If there is power at the fuel pump and it will not start, bend over cause Napa or Auto Zone is gonna hit ya close to three bills for a fuel pump!:mad:

Good luck and let us know what you come up with.......

4. brad96z28

Just some words for wisdom for other 7.3 diesel guys. Never ever use autolite glow plugs in ur 7.3.I have seen it a few times where the golw glug expands and seizes in the head and the head needs to be removed to get the old glow plug out. This does not happen with oe glow plugs! I think at one point auto zone sold glow plugs under another name and was the same maker as the factory branded ones (beru). I have only seen this and read about it with autolites.

5. timberseal

timberseal Senior Member
    from 46385

I second the cam sensor... had to have mine replaced for the same reason and its a FORD RECALL so its free.

6. jayw

jayw Junior Member

i agree it sounds like a cam sensor and starter fluid in these turbo 7.3s is a no no.

7. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

Never use starting fluid on a diesel. It can cause engine damage as well as injure yourself. The brand of glow plugs brad69z28 is talking about is Motorcraft brand plugs. Autozone does still sell them IIRC part # ZD-11. They will have the word "beru" and/or made in Ireland etched on them. The OEM IH glow plugs have the same markings.

8. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Agreed

9. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

The cam sensor usually does not effect a cold engine, it usually acts up on a hot running engine. While cranking the engine over see if the tach registers a few hundred rpm. If so the cmp sensor is fine. Also while cranking the engine over look to see if you have any smoke from the exhaust, if so what color is it.

10. cretebaby

11. brad96z28

So glad a revised cam sensor is affordable from ford now. They where around 200 at one time. now like 30 bucks. :)

12. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

cretebaby- I am trying to keep it short and simple. If YOU want to discuss all the do's and don't on what, when, and how to properly use ether and the precautions and possible consequences then feel free to start another thread.
    As a general rule it is just best to advise people to not use it.

13. cretebaby

if i was trying to keep it short i would have said never use either in a engine with glow plugs

sorry about the hijack

14. brad96z28

And on almost all newer diesels There is a sticker that says to never use any type of starting fluids.I thin it has to do with the compression of a diesel and starting fluids dont mix.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  15. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

What about the diesels with grid heaters?

16. cretebaby

actually, it has to do with the glow plugs if the plugs are hot it can ignite to early and then BOOM:alien:

17. andrewlawnrangr

andrewlawnrangr Senior Member

tomarow is another day and im goin to check all of the above thanks everybody for helpin out and ill respond back tomarow!

18. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

brad it is not the compression alone. It is the use of glow plugs, or any other hot element heater that can cause a premature ignition of the ether. This can cause engine damage and or personal injury. Another issue is the flash point of ether is much lower than that of diesel so the ether will ignite too soon relative to piston position.
    Again my point is not to go into all of the details or argue, but rather from a safety stand point do not use it. Most modern diesels use some type of the above mentioned heaters.

19. brad96z28

Ahh good to know. I knew It was a no no but not 100% sure why. Thanks for the info Both of u.

20. Niteman9

Niteman9 Senior Member

I paid $100.00 under the 100,000 mile warranty to get mine replaced at about 74,000 miles. I replaced it again with the new style at about 150,000 miles. Then ford announced the recall. I took the truck and the receipt for the $100.00 repair to the dealer and they verified I had the new style and I received a check in the mail for the $100.00 within a week.